Forestry work

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Hey guys does anyone know how someone would go about working in the forestry sector? Its an area thats always interested me and as i left my office job a few months back im searching for a new job. I havent the first clue as how i would go about this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
What sort of thing do you want to be doing? I worked in forestry for a bit after doing my degree in it, but I since retrained in engineering. PM me if you want to chat in more detail...

Dom.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I recently started an NVQ level 2 in forestry. I study part time which enables me to work at the same time. I also get my chainsaw license subsidised through the college.

Have a look at the colleges in your area and see whats available to you!

Dan

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
there's several threads on this subject, but the gist of it is you'll need some description of qualification (i.e. NC/ND or higher in forestry or countryside management) and some work experience (this is normally got doing voluntary work for people like the FC, NT, RSPB and so on). It's what I'm currently doing (studying and doing voluntary work).

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Check out you local country parks and RSPB sites for voluntary work, they are crying out for good help specially this time of year.
some may even offer training and equipment in return for regular appearances from yourself.
Also check out these sites for arboriculture interest.
http://www.arbtalk.co.uk/
http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/

WIKI that jobs in this industry are hard to get because of the competiton you face, college students applying with every ticket, quali you can name and dream of having. Also the Job doesn't seem to pay very well compared to some industrys.

seems to be a lot of head bashing at the Admin level regarding funding and bureaucracy, in my limited experience anyway.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Wondered this myself for a while, that's why i'm now doing a degree in countryside management. It involve modules in biology, recreation access, geology and geomorphology, environmental biodiversity and awareness, ecology, all sorts of stuff. Ilooked into working on the countryside for a long time and found most places wont even give you an interview without having the at least the HND. It was a case of researching jobs etc and some places were getting 800 applicants for one job, so you can see where the academic as well as practical qualifications come into it. Here's a short course descriptor here.
http://www.sac.ac.uk/learning/courses/undergraduate/envcoucon/bsccountry

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Yeah mate, the HNC is available via distance learning. Although, I went and spoke to the head lecturer for the course about it and there is a 70% drop out rate on that due to not being able to go on the many field trip, attending lectures etc. But, seeing as I only stay 5 mins from the uni I was advised to do the full time course. I'll post a link to the details for the distance learning course but if you want to talk to the guy I spoke to who was a countryside ranger for over 20 years I'll PM you his number, he's a really good guy and will go out of his way to explain anything you need to know and will help you out no end. ;)
http://www.sac.ac.uk/learning/courses/undergraduate/envcoucon/hnccemfl

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
There is a couple of guys on the course that actually work for the forestry commision but in order to get anywhere in the job they have been advised to do 'at least' the HNC. One guy that did the course last year who was at the induction day was talking to me, he said that he was in the same role with forestry for 7 years and just could not get promoted while people that had done the same job for 2 years were.....answer......get the bit of paper that says you can do your job. He took a year off, did the HNC and within a one month of returning to work was promoted! Practical experience is a big thing too though. The course lecturers advise you to do as much practical stuff as you can, ie: voluntary work with wildlife trusts etc.

Oct 23, 2006
west midlands
Try the Countryside Services at the council for details of volunteer days-I work as a ranger for Walsall and we are always looking for willing helpers on a tuesday......hint hint! Keep your eye on the council job sheets as well- we shall shortly be looking for another estate ranger and it will be advertised on the job sheet. Good luck!

All good advice from everyone. The only thing I would add is that if you can afford to get yourself on a few training courses (usually only a week long, or less) it will go a long way toward making you stand out as a more valuable volunteer (and therefore someone The Wildlife Trust or RSPB or similar, might offer some contract work to or invest some time in helping you get more experience). These qualifications could also lead to getting work with other counrtyside contractors doing work such as hedglelaying, tree surgery, scrub clearing, fencing etc. It's a good way to get some experience, money and time spent on the job. The courses/certificates I'm talking about would be your NPTC chainsaw ticket, knapsack sprayer certificate and brushcutter certificate. All should be availabe from a local agricultural college. A good investment that can get you earning some money fairly quickly if you're really serious about doing this kind of work and get a few good contacts.
Go for it! I did!
Good luck.
Cheers,
Jamie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE