Forestry Commission scrap right to forage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garf

Jul 2, 2008
Chester
I have been listening to the argument on Radio Two
this morning.
To put it down to Health and Safety is ridiculous.
I was in Delamere Forest yesterday with the wife, having a stroll
and if we weren't dodging dogs off leads it was mountain bikes
whizzing past.
All acceptable!!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I suppose another question is, will anybody take any notice ?

I can imagine it will be diffcult for those who currently buy a license and stock pile larger quantities, but what about those of us who ocassionaly forage for stoves or fires whilst kipping out.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
without getting into a politics debate (wouldn't want to break the rules either)......

Sod them! - I am pig sick of basic age old rights (no matter how trivial they may seem) being taken away from me. The FC is publicly funded and I will continue to forage for woodfuel.

Let them stop me and I'll see them in court!

/end rant

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
We are not losing any age old rights we never had them, well not by the charter quoted in that paper
The Magna Carta does not mention the rights of the common man to collect firewood

The Charter of the Forest from 1217 (two years after the Magna Carta) does. But not every man has /had the right, only “freemen”. We are not nor would we be classed as freemen.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
We are not losing any age old rights we never had them, well not by the charter quoted in that paper
The Magna Carta does not mention the rights of the common man to collect firewood

The Charter of the Forest from 1217 (two years after the Magna Carta) does. But not every man has /had the right, only “freemen”. We are not nor would we be classed as freemen.

Good knowledge tadpole.:notworthy

Out of interest what is a freeman?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'd like to classed as a fremen if anyone knows how to go about it? big knives and worm riding is right up my street - allthough the local worm variant does seem a little wimpy :)

this foraging business seems completely bonkers if its true - the US decided to stop allowing the forest to burn every few years which did little tree damage but cleared the brush of debris. now its had 50 odd years to build up into a decent amount we have the california forest fires which they cant put out. I can name a few UK forests which would have similar issues should the rain ever stop for for long enough to get a decent fire going.

they should have a department of common sense, a woman in tesco tripped slightly over a case of wine the other day in the isle by the tills and started to chunter about what happened to health and saftey till I said when I was a kid my mum would tell me to look where I was going. that shut her up :)

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Either way well responded. im a man and im free (that went very John Inman there).

But in any case I've never been one to let the facts get in the way of a good rant so I shall pretend I have never seen tadpoles post ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
What/who is a freeman ?
Back then, it was someone who had completed his apprenticeship to another free man/woman or guild. A freeman was allowed to trade, and pay tax. He/she also had to defend the town or borough and pay for the up keep. They also had the right to vote, for their local Mayor and or Bailiffs, ok only the men had that right. You could be born a free man if your parents were members of a guild, or you could buy your freedom, if you had enough cash. (which could be as much as £20) you could become a freeman if you married the daughter or widow of a freeman

Or good googling ? :D
and what is wrong with Google? :rolleyes:

Or actually reading Simon Sharma 'History of Britian' and of course the Michel Wood programme Christina: A Medieval Life. :D

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
What/who is a freeman ?

A freeman of a town or city was something granted to persons that had done a service for the town or city it was usually awarded to anyone completing a apprenticeship they were awarded the key to the town or city lots of people were also given the right to have their cattle graze common land

Or good googling ? :D

:D

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Back then, it was someone who had completed his apprenticeship to another free man/woman or guild. A freeman was allowed to trade, and pay tax. He/she also had to defend the town or borough and pay for the up keep. They also had the right to vote, for their local Mayor and or Bailiffs...

I've completed an apprenticeship.
I'm allowed to trade - self-employed for 15 yrs
I pay tax - lots of it.
I'm prepared to defend the town - ask the chavs round our way! ;-)
I pay for the upkeep (through council tax)
I have the right to vote.

Does that make me a freeman then? Just curious.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I pay tax and served in the forces (defending the village so to speak).
I reckon I must be a freeman.
I'm off to the woods to get some kindling!
:D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've completed an apprenticeship.
I'm allowed to trade - self-employed for 15 yrs
I pay tax - lots of it.
I'm prepared to defend the town - ask the chavs round our way! ;-)
I pay for the upkeep (through council tax)
I have the right to vote.

Does that make me a freeman then? Just curious.

Not really the rights of freeman were abolished in 1835(ish)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
health and safety what a pile of tosh

without google/hse website i seem to recall

Health and Safety at WORK act 1975 states......blah blah blah

work being the operative word

steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE