Forest/woodland/anything around Swindon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Morning all, I'm new here, as well as being quite new to bushcraft in general, even if I have spent many many hours outdoors at home in Cornwall. I've recently moved (for the year) to Swindon and was wondering if anyone knows of any good public-access land (ideally woodland) around here on which I could spend a weekend?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Welcome to the forums Nick_S... :)

Savernake forest (http://www.savernakeestate.co.uk/) , has full open access (more or less), and is just down the road and is a lovely bit of woodland. has a campsite at the far north west corner near marlborough, that you can use to stay overnight, but camping in the woods is heavilly frowned upon/illegal.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
Thanks for the warm welcome. Savernake was the one I had in mind, but as you say, they don't like campers.

I suppose I should go and get an Explorer map and look for the purple bits!

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Deleted - Endorsing Illegal Camping.

Although you've the best intentions we can't allow that, any problems then PM me.

Lithril

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I missed this thread, Im from that area.

I havent found a good place either, Im too shy to ask landowners

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
It is a bit dire around here. There are patches of woodland along the Ridgeway, but apart from that I haven't seen much. Where's this Webbs wood? Savernake is nice, but a bit crowded as said. FULL of rasberrys during the late summer though! Lots of deer too, so it's good for an evening's walk.

Stan Pinn

Sep 16, 2006
Swindon
Spacemonkey said:
It is a bit dire around here. There are patches of woodland along the Ridgeway, but apart from that I haven't seen much. Where's this Webbs wood? Savernake is nice, but a bit crowded as said. FULL of rasberrys during the late summer though! Lots of deer too, so it's good for an evening's walk.
Webbs woods is to the west of Swindon, If you look at M4 J16 go west a bit and a little north you will see Brinkworth ( the longest village in England! ) Next to which is Webbs Woods and Sommerford Common. Both of these are worth a look. :cool: Happy Camping
Stan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE