foraging on the sea shore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cooper90

Hi mate

it looks a cracking area, the rocky area at the top of the screen is where i would aim for as high tide or low you are always going to have fish there...
Personally i wouldnt go for the flat fish to much effort for small rewards, i wouldjust go all out for the Mackerel.
You could either go at them with a 4oz bomb and a set of feathers which does work.. Or i prefer to flot fish for them with a big sea float just use any scraaps of fish or sandeels if you can get them' Just fish from the rocks and blast it out as far as you can and vary your depth from 3-8ft and you should soon be into them...
Mullet are possible but almost impossible to catch i know because i have tried..
There will be Wrasse present but i have never eaten one so i couldn't let you know what they taste like but Mackies are bloody lovely..
If you need any more info let me know buddy.

mikeob

Jun 3, 2009
Cardiff
Razorfish are only really available at low water on spring tides. They are not keen on being exposed to the air. Yes, you do use salt to catch them.
The method is to walk backwards scuffing your feet. this will collapse the razorfish burrow. The animal attempts to blow water up to clean out the burrow. When you see this, you pour the salt down into the hole. this amout of salt is poisonous to the clam and it forces itself out of the burrow to escape... into your waiting hands.
I know this sounds far fetched, but it works. I only do it once or twice a year, but can collect enough razorfish to last me all year as bait for fish. On the beaches that I do this on the gulls know exactly what is going on and pay veryclose attention to anyone they see shuffling backwards near the waterline, and often a race can develop if the razorfish takes a long time to get the salt and you have moved away.

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
There very little you cant eat, its just our dis-functional connection with food that gives way to the general opinion that most wild food are inedible. Try shrimps raw by holding there heads and biting off the body shell and all. Happy to answer question you may have about coastal foods and there catching and cooking.

Cheers

Coastal Survival School

crimsonred

Mar 20, 2010
shropshire
i was watching one of those freeview channels about lunchtime yesterday and ray mears wild food was being repeated-it was about shore food. i was amazed at what was available, my favourite being the kale-i think thats what it was. it could be eaten raw or cooked via embers and tasted sweet .a very rich source of carbs. the others he had on it were numerous and the seafood, well i'd like to try the razorfish. i've eaten it in peniscola, spain, and it was soft and disgusting, but the way ray cooked it, it looked firm and quite tasty. limpets are on my ' to have ' list so hopefully this summer i'll get a chance to taste a few.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE