foraging on the sea shore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
it seems like all foraging for food posts on here are about the English countryside and woodland, but i was wondering if anyone knows about what is edible on the shores around england. i know a bit, like you can eat mussels but dont if they are in polluted water because they are bi-valves and will be full of rubbish, but limpets are ok even in bad conditions because they are algae grazers and wont be full of rubbish. but i know very little about cooking shore creatures or if you can eat things that you can catch in rockpools if you are at the shore without a rod or bait/lure to fish further out with.
so, can you boil a blenny? saute a shore crab? or make seaweed soup?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
my pocket book Food For Free by Collins Gem is great its got all sorts of stuff in it from seaweed to nuts plants mushrooms berries and roots. the added bonus is that its pocket size and is a good price of £4.99 (try ebay).

it has a section of shore foods that can be used with good descriptions and pictures, its a starting platform for allbushcraft realy.

i know sea enenimies can be eaten as i have seen them pickled before but dont know which ones or how to process them.

most small critters in the rock pools should be safe if the tide is clean and un poluted. make sure they are cooked properly to be sure.

when i lived in Wales Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire i used to eat limpits, winkles, laver, kelp, mussels, razor clams, shrimps and more. just one on clams and shell fish, make sure that they are the correct size that includes crabs and lobsters. if you buy a local tide guide they normaly have the minimum size they must reach in a section at the back of the booklet.

hope this has helped and make sure you check the sizes as it carries a heafty fine around 5 k i think....and remember be safe. chris............

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Living in Leeds the 'seaside' is a day out for me.

I do love grabbing a few mussels and winkles off the rocks at Bridlington or Whitby and cooking them when I get home.

I've always wanted to get a few razorfish (clams) but never found any.

I've never tried limpets - they are EVERYWHERE!!! (you have to creep up on them though!!!)
Cooking tips for limpets invited!!!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I've eaten limpets and while they're a bit chewy I personally think they're quite pleasant. I usually cut them from their shells and remove the stomach etc., so that I'm left with just the fleshy foot to cook and griddle them quickly as you would scallops. I find long cooking just toughens them up.

Usually I just serve them simply as they're being cooked up right on the beach but I do have a couple of recipes you could try:

PASTAI BRENIG / LIMPET PIE (traditional Welsh recipe - allegedly)
A quantity of limpets, already cooked ¼ lb. of fat or streaky bacon
2 hard-boiled eggs
1 onion
Some bread dough or short crust pastry

Line deep pie dish with thinly rolled-out dough or short crust pastry. Fill dish with alternate layers of limpets, bacon cut up in cubes, sliced eggs and sliced onion. Add seasoning and a little of the limpet liquor. Cover with dough or pastry. Bake in a hot oven for ½ hour, and then more slowly for another ½ hour.

Limpet Pasta

Ingredients:
Several handfuls of limpets
1 lb pasta, precooked
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
5 clove garlic
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup capers
1 tea fresh cracked popper
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup white wine
2 lemons

Preparation:
Take several handfuls of limpets, washing and prepping them as described below.
Boil pasta or reheat preboiled in hot water in a colander. Place butter and oil in a wok. Add garlic and onions and sauté

Fill wok 3/4 with pasta. Toss until all strands are loaded with garlic oil. Add 2 to 3 handfuls of limpets. Add capers and pepper, followed with parsley, Parmesan cheese, lemon and wine.

Do not overcook the limpets, but serve when they are just al-dente but not tough. Adjust lemon to taste and serve

Grilled Fresh Opihi Limpet
Recipe courtesy Billy Wong

5 chillies
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 cloves pounded fresh garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt

Butter
Soy sauce
Tabasco (optional)

Although this is a Hawaiian dish originally devised for the much larger Opihi, it can still be used for our own native limpets. It's also a good recipe to use with fresh oysters. Wash and prepare the limpets as described below. Mix chillies, vinegar, water, garlic and sea salt together. Marinate the limpet flesh in this mix for about 15 minutes before grilling.

While grilling add butter, soy sauce and if you like it, Tabasco. Serve with rice or cous-cous.

In Madeira, limpets are a traditional hors-d'oeuvre; the "lapas" are placed in sizzling garlic butter and become perfectly cooked in the time it takes to get from the kitchen to the table

Cooking tips:

Wash the limpets well; insert the point of a knife, run it round the inside of the shell and detach the mollusk. Remove any dark sections (head/gut etc.), place the meat on a work surface and tap it firmly with a wooden kitchen mallet to tenderize it without crushing it. Avoid collecting limpets during low tide if they have been uncovered for a long time, particularly in hot weather. While very common, limpets aren't used in cuisine very often because cooking can be tricky and if overcooked even by a few seconds, the flesh begins to toughen making it unpalatable however, marinading in mixes containing pinapple or lemon/lime will a slight softening effect on the meat.

There are a few books on edible seaweeds, try looking in Amazon but beware of American publications which might not suit your purposes. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Seaw...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262476291&sr=1-9

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
limpits can be cooked in 3 main ways.
1 stewed just boil them to death realy to try and make them a little more tender as they are tough as old boots.
2 just turn them upside down in the shell and place in the fire embers to cook in thre own little pot.
3 my personal fave and how ray does them, just place them on a flat rock shell up the right way and put the embers from the fire on top. this method leaves a little black blister which u just pull of before eating.

they are a great source of food and taste great but are very chewey. you dont need to creap up on them just bash them of with a rock, or leaver them of with your knife and even a good old kick with your boot does it lol.......

razor shells are at the very low tide during spring tide, you find them on sandey beaches in a hole you do nead to creap up on then so leave the dog at home, i tried with mine and failed. the hole is about 1 cm long and about 1/2 cm wide in an oval shape thick at 1 end thiner at the other. the holes can be bigger or smaller depending on the size of the clam. i spent ages trying ti find them in wales but thay are awsome shell fish just clean out all the sand first.

hope this of use..........chris

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The coast offers probably the best forgaging environment from a 'living off the land' point of view and also amongst tge safest when it comes to ID - its hard to mistake Sea Purslane, Sea Beet, Orache, Sea Blight, Samphire, Sea Holly and none of the coastal margin seaweeds are poisonous (to my knowledge) in this country altough some are less edible and some should, due to high mineral contents, be eaten in moderation. The few plants you have to be careful of with ID are the umbellifers you find on coastal margins!

THe river cottage book is good-ish.

This book is exceptional: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forager-Handbook-Miles-Irving/dp/0091913632

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I remember being told at a military survival school that all marine seaweeds are edible, but that some are irritatingly acidic, some are laxatives, and some are unpalatable. At the same school, we ate limpits raw. The first few were difficult to keep down just because of cultural prejudices, but they were easy protein.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
The River Cottage Edible Seashore book, is not bad at all, it doesn't cover as much as I thought it would, but does have very good information on what it does, along with lots of very good recipes along with useful foraging information, such as the legalities of shore foraging - which for those of you living in England and Wales isn't all that straight forward apparently.

It covers most common seaweeds, which luckily are all edible, perhaps require an acquired taste however, velvet swimming crabs, brown crabs even the humble shore crab can be used. Personally I'm still on the hunt for the razor clam, which I've saw many many hundreds of shells but yet to spy it's home... one day, oh yes one day it will be mine... :D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I occasionally go shrimping, and also get the odd razor clam. Mussels are easy to find, but I'm not 100% certain the beach where I go to is free of sewage pipes. I have tried limpets, but they are horridly tough. I've heard of people saying they must be cooked right, but I've never worked out what that was. Cockles and winkles are easy to get as well, but I can't stand them; although the friend I go with loves them. Never had much luck with whelks - shame, because I love them.
Usually in early Spring we go to the coast early in the morning for a good forage and then cook what we find on the beach for breakfast.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have heard razor clams being caught (possibly by ray mears) by pouring table salt on the hole in the sand and they shoot out.
i have had mussels before and they put me off seafood...
the biggest shore critter i have found is a very large shore crab (a single claw would have made a decent meal lol!) so as long as they taste nice i would assume they would be the best for a big rockpool meal. i might try limpets the ray mears way. i am fairly good at getting limpets and sacrificed a knife just for removing them (which works well). i found the best way if you plan to cook them out of the shell is to just smash the shell releasing their grip. while in Scotland i used them as a (very effective) crab bait which would solve the problem of finding the larger crabs, but a mackerel head works better.
thanks!

Last edited:

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
I just spent a fantastic 5 days over new year on the west coast of Scotland on the northern part of the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The whole place was teaming with food and during the trip we had : Fresh mussels, limpets, clams, winkles, kelp and line caught coley. We managed to feed 6 people over several days with what we easily collected and foraged. I am not sure about the quality of shellfish in England but up here the shellfish is super fresh and nobody became ill despite eating raw limpets!

What was so amazing was that we had nothing more fancy that a cheapo fishing setup(£14.99 telescopic 7ft rod, £4.99 reel with free line and a £1.99 spinner), a knife and a bucket.

Despite several days of hunting razor clams we had no luck:sigh: but a local seal made an appearance near the fishing spot every evening!

The sea shore is a magical place, whole days can be lost there and you never know what you may find.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
yea scotlands sea life is so amazing. i went to the isle of gigha last year and the beach was covered in enormous hermit crabs in foot long shells. there were multicoloured winkles. blennies and gobies everywhere. i caught loads of eels in a river and its estuary and found them in rockpools at the shore.
around august this year im going back up to scotland on a caravan site on the beach
(search PH39 4NT on google maps) and there is a large estuary coming off of loch morar. im going to be camping some of the time next to the loch if possible and will be fishing and rock pooling at the beaches whenever possible. anyone from around there know any good fishing spots near there?

seriously if your ever going on a holiday and want it to be cheap with huge spotless beaches, amazing wildlife and crystal clear seas then go to scotland!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Wow. Nice spot _scorpio, I know just where it is. We had two weeks up at Morar at the end of May / beginning of June this year - it was wonderful. A superb touring base - we did all sorts. Sorry I'm no help with the fishing though.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Sea Purslane, Sea Beet, Orache, Sea Blight, Samphire, Sea Holly and none of the coastal margin seaweeds are poisonous

In addition:
Alexanders
Water Cress
Sea Radish
Scurvy Grass
Yarrow
Rock Samphire
Glasswort
Greater Plantain
Ribbed Plantain
Buck's horn Plantain
Sea Plantain
Gorse flower
Hogweed
Sea Carrot
Wild Carrot
Tree Mallow
Common Mallow
Alexanders
Chervil
Burdock
Common Sorrel
Dandelions
Nettles
Three-cornered-leek
Hawthorn
Primrose
Blackberry
Wild Strawberry
Dewberry
Sloe
Sea buckthorn
Evening Primrose
Rosebay Willowherb
Hawksbit
Pennywort
Daisy
Mayweed

That can all be found on or near to the coast (not that it's all exclusive to the coast)without going anywhere near a woodland, and I'm sure it's by no means a comprehensive list. With a bit of research I'm sure you could find a lot more.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Scorpio where are you based and i can get you on the fish just depends on what you want and what time of year you want to go for them.
Let me know

Coops....

(search PH39 4NT on google maps) from 18th of July until 30th of July. as you can see for about 200ft its all sandy and then looks like it drops away. im assuming when fishing at high tide i will be getting fish like plaice and dab? so a string of 4 hooks, a 4oz weight and baited with squid and lugworm will work there? any idea what else i may encounter? mullet? mackerel? a salmon or trout run? i will also be fishing in the loch if i can.
does anyone know if there is a local tackle shop that will sell bait? i will take 6 rods of varying sizes to cover all scenarios and lures of all sizes.
oh, and what is the legal keep size for lobster? i doubt i will catch any im just curious.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Mallaig's probably the best bet for bait. There's no shops in Morar and I doubt the little shop in Arisaig will have any. Several fishmongers in Mallaig too if all else fails! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE