Foraging in Finland / October.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 2, 2011
Reading, Berks
Hello All,

My first post on this site, I'm off to Finland (Lake Saimaa region) next week canoeing and wild camping. We're away all week and will have plenty of spare time. I'm taking a fishing rod and planning to fish, it started me thinking re: what else I can forage?
I'm familiar with common British nuts & berries but was wondering what to look out for in Finland?

I'll put a posting on a finnish forum I found while surfing but I'm interested in hearing any feedback anyone has from their experiences in the area. I've surfed around but not really found a lot of useful information.

Thanks

Rich

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I'm taking a fishing rod and planning to fish, it started me thinking re: what else I can forage?
I'm familiar with common British nuts & berries but was wondering what to look out for in Finland?

You will not find Commol Hazel that north but something to look for this time of year includes lingon-, cran-, rowanberries and also rose hips. Juniper berries can give a nice flavour to the food but you will need a permission from the land owner before collecting them. This year has been titled as the best mushroom year for a decade so try to find a guidebook before you hit the terrain. The moose hunting season started a month ago so you might want to wear bright orange vests when foraging.

PS. Last night the lowest temperature measured in Saimaa region was -3.7°C or 25.3F.

Oct 2, 2011
Reading, Berks
Thanks, that's great advice,

Will pack a mushroom guide book along with a big down sleeping bag, lots of warm clothes & fire making kit.

Regards

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE