Foraging, December 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What have you actually found this month ? Was it good to eat or not worth the bother ?
This dead end of the year is a funny short grey light most days where I Iive and the occasional sunny day is a delight :D We've had freezing cold days and longer icy nights this month too; there was even heavy fog on two nights too. Just now it's very mild, kind of teeshirt if moving around mild :)

This month the wild food I've found and I've eaten is a bit limited but surprisingly tasty, didn't dig up much in the way of roots though. Has anyone else ?

My list,
Dandelion greens
Danedelion roots for coffee (quite nice, a bite but a sweetish bite to it)
Hairy bittercress.
St John's wort
Lady's smock
Nettles (fresh growth :cool: )
Sycamore seeds
Rosehips
Plantain seeds
Pine needles
Alder catkins
Brambles (old fruits, and fresh leaf buds)
Mint

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fresh dockens
Heartsease flowers
Some very withered wild strawberries
Ransom leaves are coming through, didn't eat them but they're coming up.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have picked a lot of rosehips this month, I made rosehip sauce for the christmas goose. They are lovely vitamin kick to winter food.
I found some tiny wild apples that weren't bitter at all today.
Sorrel
Mahonia flowers
goosefoot
wintercress
I could get some bulrush root but I dont facy putting my hands in muddy water when it is so cold.
I have put some burdock seed on the lotty so I can legally get some root for next winter.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Teeshirt weather for a Scotsman is Skiwear weather for an Englishman.

Anyway Toddy, What did you do with the Alder Catkins??

I took a little bite of one straight from the tree eairlier this month and Ive got to admit it was pretty scrummy but I had no idea on if it needed processing.

Stu

What have you actually found this month ? Was it good to eat or not worth the bother ?
This dead end of the year is a funny short grey light most days where I Iive and the occasional sunny day is a delight :D We've had freezing cold days and longer icy nights this month too; there was even heavy fog on two nights too. Just now it's very mild, kind of teeshirt if moving around mild :)

This month the wild food I've found and I've eaten is a bit limited but surprisingly tasty, didn't dig up much in the way of roots though. Has anyone else ?

My list,
Dandelion greens
Hairy bittercress.
St John's wort
Lady's smock
Sycamore seeds
Rosehips
Plantain seeds
Pine needles
Alder catkins
Mint

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry :eek: Nothing spectacular, they're just a munchie as I'm walking along. That said, if you get them just right, when they're kind of full of pollen, then they make a sweetish cuppa iirc......haven't done that in a long time.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive picked nothing :( But in the new year I wish to learn more about plants and their uses. I think its a fundamental of bushcraft. I have Richard Mabley and ray mears, but I need a good photo ID book. can you recommend any Toddy?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only book I really recommend doesn't have photo illustrations but botanical drawings. Tbh I much prefer drawings to photos. The photo only shows one single example, usually cluttered and lit by the light on the site at the time it was found; a good illustration shows the plant simply, identifying diagnostic features clearly, showing leaf attachment, stem shape, axials, etc., Just my opinion though.

The book is, "The Hamlyn Guide to Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe", by Edmund Launert. The ISBN of my 1981 copy is 0 600 35281 1

I know that the book has been republished relatively recently. Mine is a nice size to fit in a bag or a good pocket, and is very much the worse for wear but it's been incredibly useful.

atb,
M

My list,
Dandelion greens
Hairy bittercress.
St John's wort
Lady's smock
Sycamore seeds
Rosehips
Plantain seeds
Pine needles
Alder catkins
Mint

cheers,
Toddy

If you ever fancy company on your walk Toddy???? I need to get more up to speed on our local edibles!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:cool: :D

Is Pennywort the same as creeping jenny ? or is that moneywort ?

I came across some freeze dried red clover flowers this morning, it's been perishing here.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :D

Definitely 'not' creeping jenny, I don't know this one at all..........I'll remember it now though.

cheers,
Toddy

Roibeard

Nov 8, 2007
waterford/Cork, Ireland

My list,
Dandelion greens
Hairy bittercress.
St John's wort
Lady's smock
Sycamore seeds
Rosehips
Plantain seeds
Pine needles
Alder catkins
Mint

cheers,
Toddy

How do use the Alder catkins?
Is it treated like seeds eg plantain?

Sounds like a fantastically common wild food.

Robert

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thank you :D

Definitely 'not' creeping jenny, I don't know this one at all..........I'll remember it now though.

cheers,
Toddy

I think it is very common in Devon and Cornwall (every rocky wayside or wall seems to be festooned with them). I think they are less common the more North you go - but I would be interested if you do find them. TBH you are not missing much tastewise - even though they are given an okay edibility rating by PFAF and a thumbs up by RM/Gordon Hillman. But you might disagree if you find one ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get such a range across the island, don't we ? :cool: I like this meandering way of finding out about new ones; little by little they become familiar :D Thanks for the photos.

HWMBLT found gorse in bloom yesterday, and the white heather has just opened. Both are edible but more useful for making drinks, I think.

cheers,
Toddy

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
Ive never had sycamore seeds before, do you just pop them out the case and eat them raw?, or is it a cooking job?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just eat them, I think of them a bit like peas.
I think that they can be pickled though, I'm 'sure' someone mentioned that on here a couple of years ago.

cheers,
Toddy...........too tired to redd this thread up tonight, I'll do it tomorrow and start a new one for January 2009.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Found gorse in bloom the other day, flowers are edible in salads or to make tea, they taste a bit like coconut! Also found sorrel, bramble with new buds and dandelion.
Not much around but it seems as though there is already a whisper of Spring in the air! The frosty weather this week will probably put an end to that though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE