foraging book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davep90

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2006
wigan
I bought food for free as a pocket guide and its great. I was wondering if there are any other good books for the would be forager or good web sites?
cheers

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I know Marcus at Wild Food School was at the last gathering and he had a bunch of books, flicked through them on the stand and if I hadn't already spent twice what I said I would I would have a few on my book shelf now.
you could try his website I had a quick glance and couldn't see mention of the books but there's a few interesting articles there to

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Have a look at Roger Phillips book cant remember the title but its excellent but damned dear.
Available in Waterstones so have a look......still trying to get it cheaper on Amazon (£16.99 in WS!!!!!)
My mate bought the Roger Maeby book the other day in s/h shop for a quid, good read meant to be classic. Have you seen the full version of Food for free? (Collins)
Dont think there is any extras but nicer pics and more wonga
D

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Survival greens by Johnny Jumbalaya is a pretty useful tool to foraging I have a pre release cd which id's loads of plants and places to find them.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Survival greens by Johnny Jumbalaya is a pretty useful tool to foraging I have a pre release cd which id's loads of plants and places to find them.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
You're not related to Fred Elliott are you Woodstock ?

I SAY. You're not related to Fred..................:p

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The Johnny Jumbalaya Wild Food Guide is a good book with detailed descriptions of loads of plants. No photo's for ID in it though so it has to go hand in hand with a field guide.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
You're not related to Fred Elliott are you Woodstock ?

I SAY. You're not related to Fred..................:p

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The Johnny Jumbalaya Wild Food Guide is a good book with detailed descriptions of loads of plants. No photo's for ID in it though so it has to go hand in hand with a field guide.

My computer went wonkey on me I say my computer went wonkey :p

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
the Roger Philips book is 'Wild Food' and it is a superb text. However, it most certainly is not a pocket book.

I would suggest getting a good pocket field guide on wild flowers/plants (like Larousse) to help in positively identifying the stuff in 'Food for Free' and 'Wild Food'.

For the UK, I don't think you need anything more than those two books to tell you what to look for and a guide to help you identify them.

I've found that other books tend to repeat a lot of the same stuff or just offer different recipes.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
collins gem books have a lot of titles for the bushcrafter from trees to flowers to birds etc plus there quite cheap even cheaper on ebay

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
the Roger Philips book is 'Wild Food' and it is a superb text. However, it most certainly is not a pocket book.

I would suggest getting a good pocket field guide on wild flowers/plants (like Larousse) to help in positively identifying the stuff in 'Food for Free' and 'Wild Food'.

For the UK, I don't think you need anything more than those two books to tell you what to look for and a guide to help you identify them.

I've found that other books tend to repeat a lot of the same stuff or just offer different recipes.

What is this "Larousse" book that you refer to? Searched Amazon and their were a few but nothing clearly about wild flower / plant id.

I'm after a field guide for these very reasons, to back up and support "Food for Free", the Collins Gem version.

Andy

bushman tash

Apr 23, 2007
peterborough
though it does not show recipies for animals it is an amazing book for wild plant recipies and mushroom idetification ...' Wild Food by roger phillips'....i found this book to be a great help when i was wanting to learn about the food that is on offer for free throughout the year...the book is done in a chronological order, starting with the plants that are abundent in january and finishing with december, it also features seaweeds and mushrooms. the book has pictures, descriptions and recipies for each plant. i would advise you to take a look :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE