For those interested in saami culture (modern)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
This is a movie made by a man from Bodø (where I live). It is about a local saami family (Pavall family). The movie maker have followed them for several years, during work. It first started out as a photo project, but ended up in a short documentary film.

http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/709081/

It shows the nature of the Bodø peninsuls. My part of the world in other words.

Sorry, only in norwegian, no subtitles.

Tor

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No idea what's anyone's saying but that's some amazing country Tor, very jealous mate

Thanks for sharing

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This was a great program, I didn't understand a word but still enjoyed it immensely. Thanks again.

I have a question for anyone with some knowledge of Sami culture and crafts, at 23 minutes and nineteen seconds into the video one of the herders is clearly wearing four knives on his waist. Can anyone tell me if the additional knives are simply duplicates or are there some special purpose Sami tools that are used when the occasion demands?

:)

Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
In this instance I think they are duplicates. He always have several sharp knives at hand, no need to sharpen underways.
But the saamis have some special purpose knives as well.
As this is slaughtering he could also be carrying (although it doesnt seem so) a "krumkniv". A spesial knife to kill the reindeer (a stab in the neck trough the brain). Picture below.

krumkniv.jpg

During marking of the calves they also carry a small knife (only) used for cutting the owners mark in the animals ears.

Tor

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...In this instance I think they are duplicates. He always have several sharp knives at hand, no need to sharpen underways.
But the saamis have some special purpose knives as well..."

Thanks for this. :)

And a little further research found this site which lists the Sammi knife types and provides descriptions of their use, from this I have the name of the calf marking knife 'miessemærkom-niibe'.

One of the duplicate knifes is clearly longer than the puukko it hangs beside and has a distinct curve, perhaps it is a 'snittekniv' or flaying knife?

A Google translation of the page link above may be found here.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE