For tea tonight, parsnip chips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've always wondered why other vegetables can't be chipped like potatoes. I had some sweet potatoes in and decided to try them after seeing them being chipped on a tv programme and they were very nice indeed. I wondered why it had to stop at that and tried parsnips deep fried!

If you like parsnips, you may like this. If you don't like parsnips, you too may like this! Mrs Spamel isn't in the slightest bit keen on parsnip but seemed to like the chipped version! I couldn't quite place the taste but it reminded me of some meat flavoured crisps such as smokey bacon or similar, wierd huh!!

Next time, I'm gonna try carrots! :D

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
You know what I tried deep fried recently? Homegrown leeks. Just the white part, cut into strips (save the green for soup). Wonderfully crispy I recommend it! Roots aren't the only thing that can be deep fried.

Speaking of roots, anybody tried any of the wild roots deep fried? Might make them a bit more desirable.

Not sure about carrots, though....:p

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Mmmm Parsnip Crisps!!!

As mentioned, they're getting quite popular. You can even get mixed vegetable crisps on GNER Trains.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Roast parsnips is one of our favourites.

Just slice into chunky chips, brush with oil (and honey if you have a sweet tooth) and roast on about 200C for 30-40 minutes.

You can also simmer the chips in hot water for 10-15 minutes before roasting, for a softer inner and crunchier outer. Like an armadillo.

My mouth is now watering and I'm drooling on the keyboard. Better go eat.

Rick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE