Any interest in field bean seeds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a few years now I have been experimenting with "homesteader" crops. Vegetables that may not be a huge commercial offering - but lend themselves to those of us who like to grow our own. Before Drake and Raleigh played silly beggars on the high seas and we knew nothing of potatoes, rice and all those other elements of starchy goodness, three crops were key to getting us through the winter, wheat, parsnips and beans. Now I have passed on parsnip seeds to many forum members and am a hundred percent confident in my techniques there. Wheat I am still working on finding the right variety for both straw and berry, but I do have another selection now for those who may have an interest in such things - field beans (specifically the "Wizard" strain)
Field beans are smaller and better flavoured Broad Beans. Each pod holds three or four beans, but you get a lot of pods! The plants grow approximately 3 feet high and are robust, but may need some support in high winds (a few lengths of string around the whole patch suffices here)

9248011887_d5ba2d2ea6_z.jpg

Grow 1 foot apart in both rows and plant spacing – although it may be worth planting at 6” intervals and thinning out in case some do not germinate Plant in situ in March / April and harvest in late Summer (you can also plant in October for an Over Wintering crop harvesting the following May

8894388946_fd067001cd_z.jpg

'Wizard' is cold hardy and designed for a human foodstuff (many field beans are intended as animal fodder), it tastes great when the beans are young and tender, mature, or even dried and then re-hydrated.

9442328791_bc5ff157f5_z.jpg

9437568709_ba6dd9fa99_z.jpg

10127099295_6b7bda8988_z.jpg

Let some pods go black and dry on the plant for next years seed.

9670766489_af8175716b_z.jpg

So my question is, would any members like to have some "Wizard" field beans to grow in their own garden or allotment?

I would not charge as such bit would ask for a donation as I will have to buy jiffy bags and send as small parcels as they are too large to go by letter post

I am thinking that perhaps 25 would be enough as they use some space - but I can supply more for those with larger allotments and small holdings - just let me know what you need

This isn't a "sales" thread at the moment - just checking to see if Field beans are too esoteric for people or if there might be some interest. As with all the seeds I have sent out, they are open pollinated and grown without chemicals. You can seed save your own after the first year and shouldn't need to buy seeds for this type of plant again!

Red

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If there is enough interest david, you will need to meet me on the road to market with your cow :)

On a more serious note, if people are interested, I'll buy in some jiffy bags an work out what type of stamps I need and then I'll put a post up in members classifieds when I ready!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
well the cow is very shy so it wont go in the post office, but put me on the list if you start one and i will pop a coin or two your way :)

what flavored chocolate coins ? just let me know. Thanks

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'd be interested if you don't mind posting Spain. Obviously the donation could be adjusted to cover extra postage.

I've no cows to trade but the local pigs are tasty :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Field "Wizard" beans are a great crop to grow over winter, the roots act as a green manure, adding to the soil rather than taking nutrients. They are very prone to black fly in the summer, but in the winter an early months of the summer no problem. I've planted half a pack of them as an experiment, to see how well they grow, to see if they will stabilise my rather sandy soil, and to see what difference they make to the next root crop to go into the bed they are currently growing in.
Rather long winded way of say, Hugh a great idea, and yes I'll take some beans from you. Pm me details about cost etc.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have two allotments and if I exclude the overwintering stuff, I still have the best part of one of them completely cleared and prepped that is free, so yes please to a good bag full if you have them and I'm more than happy to pay whatever the cost is because I was going to buy some online anyway.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
OOOooooo

I'm interested as well :) just been clearing abit of space at the allotment could do with some for a winter crop.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay guys there's enough interest to make it worthwhile - I'll get some stamps and jiffy bags and post a thread in members classifieds when I get a chance - currently sorting the neighbours firewood so it'll be a few days

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you enjoyed them Dave!

I am pursuing some interesting new varieties at the moment that I have imported from Holland - a brown bush bean and a cannellini that I think would be epic in barbecue beans. If they do well, I'll do my normal propagation and pass them around in a year or two :)

I wish I could figure out a source for red kidney beans - but to no avail thus far - may just buy a pack of organic beans from Sainsburys and go for it!

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks :)... the reason I ask is I love baked beans and have tried broad beans loads of different ways but they still have a taste... lol...

My other half despairs... lol... I love spuds but new potatoes bleeehhhh... there's just a taste that goes with them... lol...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you like baked beans, be worth holding on till next year - I have sourced some open pollinated haricot that should be spot on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE