foot powered bowlturning

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are the same Robin Wood in the videos, then well done on some fantastic work there. I must say that I cannot believe how quickly you fashioned the bowl in the first link, I was expecting the electric lathe to win, but then thought I was gonna be caught in a QI trap! After sawing the bowls in half to see the profie, I know which I would rather have! There are a few operators of the pole lathe on the site, no doubt you will be discussing techniques and what not presently!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi Robin, it's great to see you on here. Thanks for posting the vids. I'd love a close up look at your bowl hooks, especially the ones you use for your nesting bowls. Any photos handy?

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
One of the hooks looks a lot like my hoof knife, but probably with a modified handle. I'm gonna have to have a go on a pole lathe one of these days!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Just had another look at your website and found some tool photos HERE.

When you are making these hooks, do you sharpen them before or after you bend the ends to shape? I'm going to have to bash some out for myself.

Eric

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I tend to sharpen before bending...just like making a hook knife. After bending the hook hardening and tempering all that is left is a quick hone and they are ready to go. I try to answer technical questions on turning at www.bodgers.org the pole lathe turners association forum to save duplicating the same answers many times.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I tend to sharpen before bending...just like making a hook knife. After bending the hook hardening and tempering all that is left is a quick hone and they are ready to go. I try to answer technical questions on turning at www.bodgers.org the pole lathe turners association forum to save duplicating the same answers many times.

For anyone looking for the above link, there's a '.uk ' at the end. www.bodgers.org.uk.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
No probs mate. I've been a member of the APT for years and didn't realise there was a forum on the website. I've just registered and put up an intro. Looks like a great resource.

Eric

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Great videos (good backing tracks too). I'm feeling inspired to havea go at this mallarky once I've got the space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE