Food suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hey folks, it's been ages since I camped last and this will be the first camp of the year, it's been so long im even having trouble thinking what food to take! I havea trangier and will be on a campsite that allows open fires so will be eater to cook on the fire but as yet do not havea saucepan I can hang ver the fire, thought I would post and see what suggestions for food you would have. I have a tub or oats and will take some milk forbreakfast tomorrow. The main thing is a nice meal this evening! Tomorrow I plan on some forgaing to see if we can get some goosegrass,ramsons and hawthorn leaves and have somewhat of a basic wild salad, maybe even some nettle soup also. Cant be meat based as I only buy organic free range meat and cant get to a shop that sells iti n time, suggests welcome!

Booosh

leon-1

You could try tuna fish, tinned or in the foil packets.

If you have a pan that you can sit on embers then you can make rice or pasta dishes that will be filling and as long as you take a few spices with you you'll be okay.

If you are going up onto Dartmoor, there is a farm shop en route up from Bovey, they sell a lot of Organic produce including meat IIRC so they may be worth looking into. I have used them a fair bit and think that you can't go too far wrong with them.

If you have anywhere near you that sells jerkey you can always re-constitute it in with vegetables and spices.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
True I can always use my trangier pans ontop of the fire embers....may blacken them somewhat but I think I have some old trangier pans about the place. Will indeed be on dartmoor, gunna go to the widecombe in the moor campsite the meet was held at.

Cheers for the advice :)

Booosh

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Pasta, tomato stir in sauce and tuna it is ! I guess first time out in a long time I should concentrate on stayign alive lol and can explore grander food combinations and forages as i develop my skills!

Booosh

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
If you have a spare nalgene wide mouth bottle you can always make up pancake batter before setting out and keep it in there. Shake well before using as it can settle a little and add a couple of teaspoons of oil to the mix to help prevent it sticking to the pan.
Dave.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
great stuff KIMBOKO, I can recognise some of those spring greens, goosegrass,ramsons,nettles but a few I dont know, if I find enough of what I do know I shall try it !

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If you want easy bread, Sharwoods or equivelant Nan bread (look in the curry section of the supermarket) is excellent. It keeps for ages, and all you need to do to cook it, is drip a bit of water on it and cook over embers. Delicious and very easy, and goes perfectly with your curry or stew cooked on your fire. Corriander and garlic or peshwari nan are my favourites :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Bushpig, you could try packet mixes of pasta with sauce. Foods like that with the least water content are the lightest and hardest to damage in transit. I can't find dried egg anywhere near me (suggestions?), but have a pack of smash mash and some dried onions ready for my first trip. Some powdered milk will probably come with me, too.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Bushpig said:
Hey folks, it's been ages since I camped last and this will be the first camp of the year, it's been so long im even having trouble thinking what food to take! I havea trangier and will be on a campsite that allows open fires so will be eater to cook on the fire but as yet do not havea saucepan I can hang ver the fire, thought I would post and see what suggestions for food you would have. I have a tub or oats and will take some milk forbreakfast tomorrow. The main thing is a nice meal this evening! Tomorrow I plan on some forgaing to see if we can get some goosegrass,ramsons and hawthorn leaves and have somewhat of a basic wild salad, maybe even some nettle soup also. Cant be meat based as I only buy organic free range meat and cant get to a shop that sells iti n time, suggests welcome!

Booosh

Don't know if this will work for you, with your meat issue, but it is very good if you have a little time:

Take a pound a bacon and throw it in the bottom of the kettle (this is for eight or ten people). Let it fry up good, fill the kettle with water and a couple of pounds of split peas. Add a little wild rice, salt and pepper and a couple of cloves. Cook until the peas turn to mush. You might want to make some fry bread or biscuits as well.

Meal fit for a king!

PG

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Back from my first night out this year, was great stuff!!! I managed to get a fire going using the fire steel and on that fire managed to cook some pasta and tomato stir in with tuna....a feast indeed!

Thanks for all your suggestions, I plan on getting out again soon and through practice can start developing better meals etc and know what is good to take/keep behind :)
Theres a jawthorn leaf/bacon suet pastry roll thing in 'food for free' that I want to make. Sounds like some excellent trail food to cook first and bring along.

Boooosh

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
my number one campfire dish....(had it last night while out).......

a litle oil in a pan, olive the best....
add chopped sweet potato, a clove of garlic, red onion and cook till potato almost fully soft.

add sliced chorizo sausage....mmmmmn...

cook a couple of minutes.......add a splash or two of red wine and reduce it for another couple of minutes.....

absolutely lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE