Food slicer

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pork should be pulled not sliced.

:D sorry couldn't resist. Have a slicer somewhere in the kitchen, not used it in ages but a handy bit of kit.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My Nan used to have one right in the darkest corner of her coupboard.

I cannot ever reccolect seeing it used.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
How would something like this work for slicing meat evenly for jerky? (especially if set in the freezer for an hour or two)

Beyond that I can't see why you wouldn't just use a good kitchen knife :) makes me think of those kitchen potato rumblers. The novelty quickly wore off as it became clear how innefficient it was compared to a knife.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looks to me like a very large footprint, whether it's on the countertop or in a cupboard.
Knife continues to function in power outages, too.
I will agree that it would make short work of whole meats for jerky in very even slices.
Have experienced that the meat needs to be "just right" in terms of stiffness to do a good looking job.
I cook those cuts and use the ground bison for jerky, squirted out of a Cabela's Jerky Pistol syringe that holds maybe 16oz/450g.

I slice my loaf breads for the toaster. The other forms always get torn up (an activity that angered my Dad for some reason.)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How would something like this work for slicing meat evenly for jerky? (especially if set in the freezer for an hour or two)

Beyond that I can't see why you wouldn't just use a good kitchen knife :) makes me think of those kitchen potato rumblers. The novelty quickly wore off as it became clear how innefficient it was compared to a knife.

It's the sort of slicer that's usually used for slicing a slab of bacon into rashers (much the same size, thickness, and shape as jerky) When set for a very thin slice it produces a thin slice for deli sandwiches you'll never get with a knife (actually shaving more than slicing) and at a speed you'll NEVER match with a knife.

As a kid working in Grand-Daddy's country store I used a larger hand crank version at the meat case. Far and away more efficient than a knife.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks to me like a very large footprint, whether it's on the countertop or in a cupboard.
Knife continues to function in power outages, too.
I will agree that it would make short work of whole meats for jerky in very even slices.
Have experienced that the meat needs to be "just right" in terms of stiffness to do a good looking job.
I cook those cuts and use the ground bison for jerky, squirted out of a Cabela's Jerky Pistol syringe that holds maybe 16oz/450g.

I slice my loaf breads for the toaster. The other forms always get torn up (an activity that angered my Dad for some reason.)

No, it folds

attachment.php

With any meat you need to chill it down to firm it up. My fridge is set to 4c which is a good temp.

Its just nice to prepare even slices in short order. If you get one read the instructions well, there is a 'knack' to keeping the power switch on, a safety feature I guess.

Attachments

• slicer 1.JPG
    slicer 1.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 90

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
It's the sort of slicer that's usually used for slicing a slab of bacon into rashers (much the same size, thickness, and shape as jerky) When set for a very thin slice it produces a thin slice for deli sandwiches you'll never get with a knife (actually shaving more than slicing) and at a speed you'll NEVER match with a knife.

As a kid working in Grand-Daddy's country store I used a larger hand crank version at the meat case. Far and away more efficient than a knife.

I also consider cleaning into efficiency (which is a right pain with slicers), especially if you are only slicing a handful of stuff . Regarding deli sandwich meat, a good knife will do that without an issue and at a very good pace if you know what you're doing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hugh, I'm considered a superb cook and have great kitchen knife skills and look on the slicer as just another kitchen tool. Regarding cleaning, these are easy, its very simple to remove the blade and much easier than the commercial slicers I used extensively when a young lad working in retail.

I use it once a week, this week I'll boil a kilo or so of smoked gammon and roll/tie a breast of lamb which will be roasted. When both are cooled and set I'll use the slicer, clean it and put it away for a week until needed next. The sliced meat will be bagged up and stored in the fridge and freezer.

"Regarding deli sandwich meat, a good knife will do that without an issue and at a very good pace if you know what you're doing." comes across as a rather sweeping and condescending statement IMHO

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Hugh, I'm considered a superb cook and have great kitchen knife skills and look on the slicer as just another kitchen tool. Regarding cleaning, these are easy, its very simple to remove the blade and much easier than the commercial slicers I used extensively when a young lad working in retail.

I use it once a week, this week I'll boil a kilo or so of smoked gammon and roll/tie a breast of lamb which will be roasted. When both are cooled and set I'll use the slicer, clean it and put it away for a week until needed next. The sliced meat will be bagged up and stored in the fridge and freezer.

"Regarding deli sandwich meat, a good knife will do that without an issue and at a very good pace if you know what you're doing." comes across as a rather sweeping and condescending statement IMHO

You stated i could never get that result with a knife, i'm saying that I can. I don't feel that is condescending. I stated "if you know what you're doing" because i've no knowledge of your kitchen skills, and you've stated that you are unable to achieve the result, while i can. My apologies if i've offended you. I was simply pointing out that "you'll never get with a knife" is not correct.

Thanks for the info on cleaning. Certainly the one thing that dissuades me from using a lot of kitchen gadgets in favor of a knife.

Your usage scenario is certainly one that would make using a slicer viable. I don't have the opportunity to produce stuff in bulk as I have 1 fridge shelf for my and my partners food, and half a freezer shelf. I've a whole range of gadgets doing nothing as it just isn't viable. I'm very much looking forward to getting back out of shared accommodation again.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..... Regarding deli sandwich meat, a good knife will do that without an issue and at a very good pace if you know what you're doing.

No. It won't. Deli sandwiches use paper thin meat. Thin enough you can almost see through it.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You stated i could never get that result with a knife, i'm saying that I can.....

No. You can't. If you believe you can, then you've never had a proper deli sandwich, and no, Subway ain't even close.

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
No. You can't. If you believe you can, then you've never had a proper deli sandwich, and no, Subway ain't even close.

I am fully aware of what deli meat is like, and no, i do not eat at subway. And I am fully aware of my capabilities with a knife in the kitchen. Pretty arrogant to tell someone what they can and can't do based on nothing but your personal opinion. I can slice meat and fish paper thin, it was a weekly and sometimes daily requirement of one of my jobs as a chef. If you don't believe it, fine. Doesn't effect me.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am fully aware of what deli meat is like, and no, i do not eat at subway. And I am fully aware of my capabilities with a knife in the kitchen. Pretty arrogant to tell someone what they can and can't do based on nothing but your personal opinion. I can slice meat and fish paper thin, it was a weekly and sometimes daily requirement of one of my jobs as a chef. If you don't believe it, fine. Doesn't effect me.

I can only invite you over sometime to sample a true deli sandwich. perhaps then you'll understand.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You stated i could never get that result with a knife, i'm saying that I can. I don't feel that is condescending. I stated "if you know what you're doing" because i've no knowledge of your kitchen skills, and you've stated that you are unable to achieve the result, while i can. My apologies if i've offended you. I was simply pointing out that "you'll never get with a knife" is not correct.

Thanks for the info on cleaning. Certainly the one thing that dissuades me from using a lot of kitchen gadgets in favor of a knife.

Your usage scenario is certainly one that would make using a slicer viable. I don't have the opportunity to produce stuff in bulk as I have 1 fridge shelf for my and my partners food, and half a freezer shelf. I've a whole range of gadgets doing nothing as it just isn't viable. I'm very much looking forward to getting back out of shared accommodation again.

No I did not.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
"thin slice for deli sandwiches you'll never get with a knife "

Certainly sounded like that to me. If it simply miscommunication then I apologise.

And the shop I like to buy my near see through cuts if meat from, they do everything with a knife while you wait. The only slicer in the building is a knife.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE