Food fads debunked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
They might be right but they didn't use many words. :) I would have expected a science site to get a bit more in depth but it makes it look a bit like they just want advert clicks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I also remember when 'SCIENCE' told us Eggs were super bad for us...... ( Quick 180 turn. )

Go with what works for you. Not preached by Science. For many that may be Paleo or not.

Experiment for yourself.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do link to all the original studies if you want the in depth stuff Stew - I read it for a couple

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I also remember when 'SCIENCE' told us Eggs were super bad for us...... ( Quick 180 turn. )

Go with what works for you. Not preached by Science. For many that may be Paleo or not.

Experiment for yourself.

To be fair this is not preaching anything - rather its myth busting the efficacy of some trendy diets.

There is an interesting piece is (unusually) the Grauniad on how science (and pseudo science) also get it wrong

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/22/what-is-healthy-eating

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'll have a flick though that later, I was never sold on the whole paleo thing, if folks want to live longer, try to have a happier life, that seems to do the trick for some.

I'd never be happy if I couldn't eat tatties, cheese, ribs etc.

A timely post today from the Daily Mash on the same subject

"...Following recommendations that Britons do not eat a piece of meat bigger than the palm of their hand, doctors confirmed that only applies if you do not have to push a wheelbarrow full of bricks..."

Link

:)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I've never been sold on any diet. They are invariably created to make someone some money regardless of it's true value or effectiveness. I just do whatever i like within reason :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Playing the devil's advocate here;
One of the sources is "Nutrition in Clinical Practice" or NCP = A.S.P.E.N. or American Society for Parentrëral and Enteral Nutrition. That in turn is linked to the Stanford University. Which is claimed to be a $5.5 billion enterprise and it receives 17% sponsored research and 21% in endowment income. Plus another 18% health care services income??
That is a lot of money, right? Who is paying for that?

One statement I copied here;
Stanford’s $22.2 billion endowment (as of Aug. 31, 2015) provides an enduring source of financial support for fulfillment of the university’s mission of teaching, learning and research. More than half of the endowment is designated by donors for a specific purpose. There are more than 7,000 endowed university funds.
source; http://facts.stanford.edu/administration/finances

How's that for impartial or independent research?
We all know how big the pharmaceutical and food industries have become and how much they really not want us to dig into food- and health related matters. Furthermore it is a given fact that the vast majority of today's science and research is heavily sponsored by big industries and it is very easy to (re)search for the facts or to manipulate them in order to get the results you would like to see.

To me the source used in the initial post is dubious at least.
'My point; always question your sources. Ask yourself :"who benefits from the results presented?"

Sorry Hugh.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Took a look at the Palaeolithic diet article. Yes, we survived and prospered by being omnivorous... having a varied diet, accustoming our bodies to process all manner of foodstuffs as we discovered them. But we as a specie haven't stopped doing that since.

Are we living longer as a result? I don't know. In many cases I see around me, it might simply be all the preservatives in processed foods folk eat, that gives the impression they aren't dead :)

Fascinating New Scientist article debunking food fads including Paleo diet, sugar makes kids hyperactive and we need to "hydrate" with 2l of water a day

https://www.newscientist.com/round-...aign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2015-GLOBAL-hoot

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
'My point; always question your sources. Ask yourself :"who benefits from the results presented?"

Sorry Hugh.

Don't disagree with you Ron, very possible to pay scientists to disagree - you only have to look at US courts and expert witnesses. I like the article though because it does show the unlikely nature and lack of supporting evidence of some of the many many food fads. If people claim they work, it would be good when they get scientific papers published and peer reviewed to prove it :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Experiment for yourself.

Err, if I remember right there's a pretty vast percentage of raw eggs that have salmonella, that's still a fact. Check it out.

I think you will find that it was the politicians who did the 180 on that one.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The bulk of food fads, or indeed any other type of nonsense 'science', doesn't actually come from scientists at all. Instead, its generally PR hype, a barely rewritten press release, and the lazy and ignorant attitude of the media. Whenever someone on the internet writes 'scientists said', you can pretty much bet that it actually came from an article in the popular press, often with a quote from someone who is either trying to sell something, or someone who is just making up stuff from almost nothing.

If you want to know just how rubbish most coverage of science is, then read this article: http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2010/sep/24/1
When the link to it was first posted on Scienceblogs we all laughed - its funny because its true. But thats quite tragic - because thats exactly the sort of rubbish that gets published all the time. Think about how many Express or Mail front pages have proclaim some miracle cure. And dont even started on the Internet....

Food fads are nothing new, which is how we ended up with Kelloggs Cornflakes, etc. If you want to know more about food fads (which tend to get reinvented every so often), you could start with the classic 'Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science' by Martin Gardner. It was first published in 1952, but sadly, not a lot has changed. It has a pretty interesting article on Scientology, which is also still with us. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fads-Fallac...386531&sr=8-1&keywords=fads+fallacies+science

Ben Goldacre covers some of the same ground in his excellent Bad Science. http://www.badscience.net/
He really lays into the nonsense that the media churns up, and is incrediably useful as a guide to sorting whats good from whats worthless. His new one is on my Christmas list, as is the T-Shirt with the phrase ' I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that'. I bought one for my friend last year, and everyone where he works now wants one as well. He also has a go at the Gillian McKeith's of this world, and 'nutritionists' gets a good kicking. Dara O'Briain has a fantastic bit about this as well:

[video=youtube;uDYba0m6ztE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDYba0m6ztE[/video]

There are loads of good books on food, and what works. Michael Pollan has written some excellent stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defence-Foo...4HQ_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448393343&sr=1-2, and his advice on avoiding food fads is good, as is his dietry advice - "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.". http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And I'd recommend Barbara Kingsolver's book 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle', which looks carefully (and without much sentiment) at eating locally. Her attempt to get turkeys to mate makes you laugh.

Paleo diets sound like the those other faddish diets - 'what would Jesus eat? , etc'. There is nothing wrong with eating a diet high in veg, low in processed stuff, lots of fish, more healthy forms of fat, etc. But cutting out stuff because someone might or might not have eaten it in the past makes no sense.

In a month we'll get the normal 'detoxing' articles - so the same old rubbish gets recycled every year.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Did I miss that? I remember a time when there was a concern over potential food poisoning from eggs? But not that all chickens eggs are or were bad for us?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Err, if I remember right there's a pretty vast percentage of raw eggs that have salmonella, that's still a fact. Check it out.

I think you will find that it was the politicians who did the 180 on that one.

I'm referring to HDL Vs LDL Argument.

Palaeocory

Forager
As a Palaeolithic archaeologist I can confidently say that the Palaeo diet has absolutely nothing to do with the Palaeolithic. I'm not a nutritionist, but the diet certainly doesn't reflect what our ancestors were eating over a 2 million year period across 3 continents...

PS. even Neanderthals ate grains and carbs...

Lovely post Old Bones, Ben Goldacre and Dara OBriain are both awesome. Bad Science is a great book, I'll check out the Kingsolver one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE