Folding water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rizla

Jan 15, 2021
S wales
Can anyone recommend me a foldable water carrier, something to carry fresh water in that will fold away when empty,
Size about 1 litre,
Thanks
David

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've used one litre Platypus bottles for the purpose you describe for many years. They are expensive but seem to last fairly well. They have a range of stoppers and I prefer the sports bottle type which makes it possible to drink without removing, and possibly losing the stopper. I didn't get on with the type designed for a drinking tube but this maybe because I was too mean to buy the special bite valve.

I keep one in my pack and one in the pocket of my coat or daysack. The pack one is empty until I get near where I intend to camp. I walk a lot in the Eastern Pyrenees in summer where water is often hard to find and I like to carry at least two litres. If starting from home, I put a three quarters full Platypus bottle in the freezer and even on a hot day, it is still refreshingly cool.

I would add that my wife dislikes hers as she claims it makes the water taste odd, but she says this too about the Sigg bottles which we also use. Perhaps her French upbringing has given her a more sensitive palate!

Rizla

Jan 15, 2021
S wales
I've used one litre Platypus bottles for the purpose you describe for many years. They are expensive but seem to last fairly well. They have a range of stoppers and I prefer the sports bottle type which makes it possible to drink without removing, and possibly losing the stopper. I didn't get on with the type designed for a drinking tube but this maybe because I was too mean to buy the special bite valve.

I keep one in my pack and one in the pocket of my coat or daysack. The pack one is empty until I get near where I intend to camp. I walk a lot in the Eastern Pyrenees in summer where water is often hard to find and I like to carry at least two litres. If starting from home, I put a three quarters full Platypus bottle in the freezer and even on a hot day, it is still refreshingly cool.

I would add that my wife dislikes hers as she claims it makes the water taste odd, but she says this too about the Sigg bottles which we also use. Perhaps her French upbringing has given her a more sensitive palate!
thanks for the reply, i will take a look at the platypus bottles, theres so many differant water carrying systems out there its hard knowing witch one to go for.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Can you disinfect them with really hot water, or do you need tabs to clean them?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a 1 litre Platypus bottle. I have had it a while and I don't know if the material is the same still in use. I think it is the nylon/polyethylene, although it rolls up, I would not say the material is "soft", it is not at all rubbery and does not crumple down, only roll up from the base.
I am fairly sensitive to bottle and bladder taste. REALLY don't like the taste from my MSR Dromlite, and can detect a taste from my Source bladder even though it says there should be none. I do not have that problem with my Platypus.

Something that made a huge difference to how fresh water stays in a bottle, is if you do not drink direct from it. Pouring into a cup, or pouring into your mouth with a gap stops backwash of bacteria from your mouth, which is unavoidable how ever much you try if you put your mouth on the bottle mouth.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've got some of those roll up plastic 1L bottles too. The plastic is quite stiff and sturdy, but rolls up quite well when empty. I've had mine for years and they've been fine so far. No idea about brand name thought.

Reactions: Rizla

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
wine never stays in the bottle long enough for it to be a problem!
Yep, for some strange reason wines tend to have that perplexing property.

I think the original question is quite relevant in many cases and if one knows well in advance a dry stretch a totally collapsible bottle or bladder is a good idea. Experiences?

Reactions: Erbswurst

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Something that made a huge difference to how fresh water stays in a bottle, is if you do not drink direct from it. Pouring into a cup, or pouring into your mouth with a gap stops backwash of bacteria from your mouth, which is unavoidable how ever much you try if you put your mouth on the bottle mouth.
Apart from using water up reasonably quickly, another thing (IME..) is to use boiled water wherever possible. Some tap water can taste different after a few days, even when other precautions have been taken.

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The 1L ones fit in pockets that are too small for Nalgenes and they are very lightweight, plus they don't take up extra space in your pack when empty. You can also bend them to fit under the tap in small sinks when filling up.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Rizla

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use the Hydrapak seeker:

Compatible with the Katadyn BeFree water filter:

Reactions: Erbswurst

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Another Platypus user. Got mine for use with my Sawyer water filter in order to have a larger capacity one than the 600ml bag that came with the filter. Easy to store, light and durable.

Reactions: Broch and Rizla

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I suppose you could call this collapsible rather than folding but I've had no taste issues and have had 2 of then. I discovered them in the US about 6 years ago and since then they've improved the design. I like the "standability", of that is a word, the Nalgene like cap and the protected Puck they form when folded.

Hydrapak

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I suppose you could call this collapsible rather than folding but I've had no taste issues and have had 2 of then. I discovered them in the US about 6 years ago and since then they've improved the design. I like the "standability", of that is a word, the Nalgene like cap and the protected Puck they form when folded.

Hydrapak

I have a couple of those as well. Really like them, though for me it’s a definite two handed drinking vessel - made a bit of a mess one handed.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OK, you convinced me to get the Platypus 1 litre bottles as additional capacity for Mediterranean circumstances.

:35:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE