Folding Saw - Ray Mears Bushcraft - Thursday, 28/04/05

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
spamel said:
The missus and myself were just looking at the folding saw pictured above, if a groove was cut in one upright of the H, the blade could be detatched at one end and pivoted around on the other bolt and slotted into the groove, thus masking the blade. The groove wouldn't need to be that deep, just enough to cover the teeth. Is this feasible?

Spamel

Thats a good idea Spam but remember the idea of this saw is that all you need carry is the blade - carry less by knowing more! Your supposed to make the rest in the field!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Gary said:
Thats a good idea Spam but remember the idea of this saw is that all you need carry is the blade - carry less by knowing more! Your supposed to make the rest in the field!

Has anyone thrown theirs away after they have finished sawing with it, or have they kept it ?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
spamel said:
The missus and myself were just looking at the folding saw pictured above, if a groove was cut in one upright of the H, the blade could be detatched at one end and pivoted around on the other bolt and slotted into the groove, thus masking the blade. The groove wouldn't need to be that deep, just enough to cover the teeth. Is this feasible?

Yup. It's been done. :)

packsaw1b.jpg

packsaw2b.jpg

This particular saw I don't recommend very highly. IMO, the blade is too long for the narrow frame, making it too wobbly to use with any great effectiveness. One of my projects for this summer is to make a shorter version but I don't know if I will slot it for the blade.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
From what I have read it would be possible to make a saw from a 17" bowsaw blade. Which would mean I could still carry a full sized bowsaw, interesting.

Do the angles on the handles serve a purpose?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
innocent bystander said:
Has anyone thrown theirs away after they have finished sawing with it, or have they kept it ?

I've turned several into fire wood - last one only survives as I made it in the garden and not on the ground!

But that said if I was going to make one for a fixed camp (as the old timers used too) I'd keep it only for the duration and then in all likely hood burn it before leaving - way to awkward to hike out.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Minotaur - the one I made has a 21" blade - not sure what you mean about the angles
Gary - that makes sense - as I understood it , if you were hiking in somewhere to stay for ages and maybe even build a cabin it made more sense weight wise to carry 10 new blades and make a saw frame than carry the frame ready made and only a couple of blades. I will take pleasure in burning the one in the pic when I need toand making the next one a bit better!

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
I have been looking at making one of these for a while now but I have been unable to find any plans on the internet. Does anyone know is if there are any?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What is the advantage over this method and a single piece of wood shaped like a bow? Is it just the tension of the blade?

Also, when using a single piece of wood, what sort of wood is necessary? Mears used a piece of hazel if I remember correctly, can any others be used?

Sorry about all the questions!!

Spamel

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
It a tension thing, I think, but also if you look at the design, it is easy to make and assemble than the bow, because the wood would be easy to find.

K

katesdad

Minotaur said:
In this program Ray uses a wood folding saw.

Any ideas where he got it from?

Looking at it, I really think it might be hand made so does anyone know of a pattern? I see lots of trial and error in my future!

It was a bit weird really, always been a small knife, big knife(Billhook or machette - want to try a heavy/old Kurki), and saw person, but was really impressed with how he carved that paddle.

Might have to do an axe course.

Regards,

Ps I miss Tracks, of all the programs so far this one actual had bushcraft in it and more importantly you got to see it.

It's a Bahco Laplander ... see his website http://www.raymears.com/ follow the online shop through cutting tools, you'll find it. Though £30 is a little steep for a tool that you can get at any garden / DIY centre for £15.

Depends on what you want to spend. There are cheaper axes than a Garnsfors as well, but I wouldn't trade my £40 Small Forest Axe for anything cheaper or more expensive.

Larry

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Doh!

Larry :rolleyes:

Mate :)

Re-read the post. :eek:

This is in no way sacastic, I have done it too many times myself.

I want the longest bow saw blade I can get in the smallest folded down package.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE