folding saw new handle

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up,
does anyone know how i could make a new handle for my folding saw the blade is ok but the plastic handle (being plastic) has snaped clean in half.

i was thinking of some sort if wing nut assembly through some wood but want the blade to be covered and folded or inserted for when i carry it around.

has anyone got any ideas please..........

thanks.....chris..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How did that happen ? :confused:

Anyway.........how about a folded bit of metal, like the brass handle on Tengu's new folder ?

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
appart from having no money to buy some i want to try and keep the handle wooden for grip and comfrot.

i also just like to work with it and have more exsperiance with it to.

it happened this weekend on our N/Yorkshire outing.....

like i say plastic cheap c%$£!!!!!!! but it got me by till now lol.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You might not like this, but I have seen one repaired using a slit open piece of hosepipe :) I think it was araldited on.

Wood's always good :D How's your carving ? Some of the pallets (in fact quite a lot of them) are made of teak. Worth the effort to break it out carefully. Carve a duplicate from two pieces leaving the folding slot in the centre with a welt from another bit of timber ( like a knife sheath)

What kind of folding saw though ? There's quite a variety.

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
its like the wilkinson sword one but cost £3.99 from LIDL thats why the plastic broke.

i have a few spare blades to so dont want to waste money on a new one when i can make one for free and enjoy doing it to.

think you are right about the wood and welt i can also use a wing nut and bolt to secure it / open it.

thanks toddy think i wll do that when i get some time........ta again chris.....

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Hi, I know it's a bit late but here are a few pictures of a couple of vintage wooden handled folding saws. They might help if anyone needs to repair or re-handle a saw in the future.
Cheers
Nigel
IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
They certainly look sharpen-able, a bit of work with a needle file but certainly doable. They put me in mind of the saw in Ray Mears' Survival Handbook. IIRC, it is a Sandvik steel blade with a plywood handle.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i want one:eek: im gessing you can sharpen those too?
we sharpen knives and axes but not saws? instead we throw them away:eek:

pete

speak for yourself mate! I'm too tight to NOT sharpen my saws :D

Even the ones with hard teeth that are a narrow pitch, such as on must folding saws can be sharpened if you know how ;)

Having seen those old saws above, I think I may make a couple and see how they go down :) I've made saws before and cutting the teeth is a tedious job so I couldn't sell them, but the short length and coarse spacing of those saws might make it feasible :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE