Folding Bucksaw

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I'm going to have a go at making one of these but am a bit puzzled on some of the detail. If the tension on the blade is increased by pulling the side pieces in at the top, does the mortice and tenon joint have to take this into account or is it just a regular, square joint? Surely if the joint is too tight it won't be able to move. If anyone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.
Heath

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, The only problem i had was getting the angle on the tenon right ,so to pull the top of the saw tight making the blade tight.

Cheers Topknot

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi, The only problem i had was getting the angle on the tenon right ,so to pull the top of the saw tight making the blade tight.

Cheers Topknot

Hi Topknot, could you explain this to me please? Do you mean that the tenon should be angled upwards slightly?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm going to have a go at making one of these but am a bit puzzled on some of the detail. If the tension on the blade is increased by pulling the side pieces in at the top, does the mortice and tenon joint have to take this into account or is it just a regular, square joint? Surely if the joint is too tight it won't be able to move. If anyone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.
Heath

If you can make a mortice and tenon joint that tight in the field with just a knife, you have my greatest respect (or maybe I'm just ham-fisted... ;)). There doesn't need to be a lot of play in it - assuming you've got the length right in the first place - but there does need to be a wee bit.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
If you can make a mortice and tenon joint that tight in the field with just a knife, you have my greatest respect (or maybe I'm just ham-fisted... ;)). There doesn't need to be a lot of play in it - assuming you've got the length right in the first place - but there does need to be a wee bit.

You're right, but I'm making mine in my shed :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, give it a go, and if it ends up too tight, you can just shave down the tenon a little. Given the size of the joint and the length of the lever, you'll probably be OK anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have PDF plans for NickG's DIY bucksaw if you're interested heath

Drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll send them on

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi , Some pic's of how i done it on my saw. The hole is for the cord (TOP)

img1366.jpg

img1370.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
The joint only needs to hold the cross member in place whilst putting the whole together, ie it doesn't need to be a tight fitting joint like it would with furniture.

Cheers,
Graham

pwb

Heath

The same question foxed me for a while too :rolleyes: until I realised, exactly what Graham has pointed out, that the brace doesn't need to be too rigid in fact it needs to have movement .

I got round the problem by just rounding off the tenon.

DSC02199Small.jpg

Seems to work fine and I can really get good tension of the blade.

Cheers, Pete.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Some great help there folks, thanks for the advice. Thanks for the pics Topknot, that makes it very clear and thanks for the offer of the PDF Shewie, I already have a copy of it but for some reason my printer won't print it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE