Folding Billy can / Pot hanger (wire work)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I started making these last year, they started off as long straight wires that I would make from fencing wire and hide at a camp site to reuse again, as the design improved they then became folding and could be packed in a small pouch I find them great if you use two Y sticks and a pole at the cooking fire I have one for every billy can and pot. I thought people may be getting cabin fever and if you like wire work they can be a good way to put down a few hours
Alan.
24122010416.jpg

24122010418.jpg

24122010420.jpg

24122010424.jpg

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I once -- mid 70's -- saw a neat little item. it was a small triangle (about 10 cm side, perhaps even less) in small diameter rebar (3 mm?). Inside it was a small triangle of sheet metal attached (folded over and probably welded), basically forming three smaller triangles. In the center of the plate was a thin but strong chain attached, with some adjustable hook system that I can't remember *any* details of. I *think* it may have been one fixed near the top and one running (with a stopper) along the lenght of the chain.

pothanger-1.gif

The idea was that one quickly placed three sticks incide the triangles, and had an instant tripod with pot hanger.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
That's a nice little idea it means you don't have to look for the perfect Y sticks or carry a tripod, just find any 3 sticks and you have a tripod, great.
I think I'll make one and let you know how I get on.
Alan.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
thats pretty nifty mate, what is its weight holding capacity like? could it hold say and large pot full of water?

how long did it take and have you got any WIP pics for a tutorial maybe?

Dave

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
It will hold your largest pot of water as I have doubled the wire at all the stress points, the first one took forever and I scrapped it, I can now make them in half a hour while washing tv, I can put a tutorial together but not now, just timing, maybe in a week or so.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
A tutorial would be really interesting if you could do one - your hooks look really neat - much neater than I could do so I would be very interested in your technique and the tools that you use. You might even start off a whole new industry using bent wire!

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Ok I'll do one. I'm going to meet family over the next few days and hopefully I can get it done before the new year.
Your footer made me smile it reminded of a great holiday in the south of France when I saw a T shirt that said " I may grow older but I'll never grow up"
Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE