Folder Query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Tar

Apr 20, 2006
Hampshire
I'm looking for a handy, inexpensive folding knife I can keep on me while out and about (away from the Mora 2000 at camp), and have pretty much settled on either:

A: CRKT Mo'Skeeter (plain blade)
or
B: EKA Swede 88

Both around the same price at Hennies (http://www.heinnie.com/cgi-bin/heinnie_store/web_store.cgi)

Does anyone know these knives, or give an opinion on them?
(or even suggestions for an alternative?)

I know there are some VERY knowledgable people out there, and I'd appreciate the guidence.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've used both though don't own either
The CRKT uses aus6 steel which though I thought was enough on one knife mostpeople seem to have issues with. It could have just been one model or I may have just got lucky with Heat treat.
The EKA knives have always seemed to keep an edge longer but then take more time to sharpen. I've used the fixed blade more but I think it's the same steel.
The CRKT is more of a pocket knife as it's a fair bit smaller in the hand then the EKA, fine for cutting open packets of food or other little jobs but with the smaller handle it's not so good for wood work (at least for me). It does fit in your pocket a lot better though for the same reasons.

I would say the EKA is the better on to have in your small day pack insteda of a fixed blade knife while the CRKT would be my choice if it was not my only cutting tool. An opinel at £6 might be good if you want something that will slice well and have a wooden handle that's round

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have a CRKT fixed blade that has a AUS 6 blade and it takes and keeps a great edge but is a little prone to having the edge "roll" if used on really hard stuff like bone. I used to have a little EKA (Sold as a "Normark" ) Swede folder that took and held a wickedly good edge. I don't know what the steel was, but it was obviously good stuff.

As you are obviously looking for a locking folder, you might like to also like to look at a Buck 112 Ranger. These have a 3" blade and are the smaller version of Bucks famous 110. I have owned and carried a 110 for many years and it's probably the first folder I reach for in 99% of "I need a knife for this" situations. They take a great edge, lock as solidly as you will ever really need a knife to lock, and are great little workers that are comfy in the hand.
I usually find that I can buy virtually any knife I am looking for cheaper than buying from Heinnies by the way.

Jack Tar

Apr 20, 2006
Hampshire
Thank's for everyone's input, it's given me much to ponder on.

If anything, I'm probably more undecided than when I began! (which is a good thing, given the suggestions you've all provided)

Longstrider: Care to expand on where you can get good prices on Knives?
(I should say I'm an Ebay virgin BTW)

Many Thanks once again!

Jack.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
By the looks of your original choices you are after a solid locking knife, but even so i would still suggest that the opinel is difficult to improve on for a small folder, bigger knives benefit greatly from full tangs, though they are not everyone's cup of tea. between the two you have found i would be rushing for the swiss 80 knife as i think you would find the other knife uncomfortable for prolonged carving (assuming this is replacing some mora type jobs), given the (IMO!) horibble handle shape.

hope you find a knife that suits.

ian

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Jack Tar said:
I'm looking for a handy, inexpensive folding knife I can keep on me while out and about

Good, inexpensive folder: Opinel. But it locks, so depending on your idea of "out and about", it might not be the best choice...

If you want a small folder that is compact enough to stow anywhere (like inside a Fisherman's Friend tin along with a first aid or survival kit) then a Douk Douk would be good. CS70 blade, takes a good edge, but the flatness of the metal handle can make it uncomfortbale for hard use (like carving). But wrap a piece of leather round it, and it won't give you blisters.

K.

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
Shing said:
The Victoriniox Solo is a great knife, the blade is longer than the standard Victorinox blade and its very light and easy to carry, its cheap too but with Victorinox quality.

http://www.shop4tools.co.uk/acatalog/DIY_Knives.html

I'd recommend the Solo as well, as long as you are used to a non-locking knife, it's also UK legal to carry around, otherwise an Opinel is hard to beat.

You can buy the Solo from Heinnie for £9.99 including p+p, that's £2 cheaper than +vat,+p+p price from Shop4Tools. Look under 'Working Knives'

http://www.heinnie.com

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I forgot about the locking/legal thing. As long as you don't oil your opinel then it can be pretty good at staying open, so you can always remove the locking ring (or buy one without if you can be bothered to look for one...in France). Not so sure about the solo (i've never got on with the steel of victorinox), although it does have the superior 'snap open' mechanism for non-lockers. I like the soldier though.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've never had a problem with Victorinox steel, I've been using their knives my entire life. Heck, I still have the very first knife I was ever given sitting beside me on this desk. It was given to me by my Dad when I was 6 years old, and I've used it almost contstantly since. I've had the cellidor handles replaced three times since then and I've convexed the edge a little bit. They're a great knife with great steel for what you pay for them. A 56 on the Rockwell hardness doesn't seem too bad for me, especially when you're paying $20 bucks for a knife that's been around for over 100 years. And they have a lot more tools than an Opinel.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
:D fair point Adam, it's just a personal preference, i like the rigidity of the opinel blade, and not the flexibility of the victorinox, opinels are easier to sharpen which i also prefer on a small knife. I would agree that a convex edge is a good idea with a SAK. I also have had one for a while but i always choose the opinel despite those extra tools.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Of course it's personal preference Ian (that's your name, isn' it?) and I've used more than my fair share of Opinel's in the past few years. Yep, Opinel's are definately easier to sharpen but they still go dull just the same as an SAK. I actually went through a stage where I stopped using my three SAK's because I'd heard that they had "soft steel." But then I realized that there really isn't anything wrong with them and I discovered that I missed using them. Now my little one is my EDC and I feel naked without it. :) My Father even has an Elinox that he's had since 1975 and it's still being used.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE