Folder and Fixed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
I have just received a Frost Lapplander 115 blade from the good stuff shop ( www.naturgalleriet.dk ) €25 delivered to Ireland. I have just started to shape the the slabs for the handle. Included in the package they sent me two pieces of Vulcan fiber free. I just want to point out that this is one impressive blade straight out of the package. I have it here sitting beside one of my favourite folders,it's a Randall's Adventure Training Model 1 ( aus8 ) ( cumberlandknifeworks.com )
It is easy to get distracted by all the knives on auction sites going for silly money, I believe the two knives above ( you will have to put a handle on one of them) are great value and will do all of the things we require an outdoors knife to do. Take the time to look them up . people talk about where to get wood for knife handles,sending off to exotic places and companies, I have decided to put walnut slabs on my lapplander blade, the piece of walnut I have came from a flooring showroom. If you go in to a flooring showroom tell them that you are going to use walnut, oak cherry, you get my meaning they will give you a sample, a small piece of flooring means nothing to them but may be good enough to handle 3 or 4 knives.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lore said:
I have decided to put walnut slabs on my lapplander blade, the piece of walnut I have came from a flooring showroom.

I've been sitting here trying to imagine what a Lapplander 115 would look like with walnut scales...and ya know...I think I have a pretty good idea. ;)

lapplander115v1c.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sweet work Hoodoo...that would be a lovely working knife...nothing fussy...just...right

When someone burgles your house one night it'll be me and falcon.....Shhh pass the BIG bag all the nice knives won't fit in the little bag.......

Err theres some bloke behind you with a Nessmuk ground Lee Reeves...and he's not happy :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
British Red said:
Sweet work Hoodoo...that would be a lovely working knife...nothing fussy...just...right

When someone burgles your house one night it'll be me and falcon.....Shhh pass the BIG bag all the nice knives won't fit in the little bag.......

Err theres some bloke behind you with a Nessmuk ground Lee Reeves...and he's not happy :D

Well, I can't take credit for the work. I had Jamie Knowlden put the scales on that a few years back. But I have another 115 I'm itching to work on. I want to put a little thicker handle on it. I also just picked up a Lapplander 95 the other day. I was thinking it would be a good one to cordwrap but now that I've done it, I don't particularly care for it so It's scales for that as well. The 95, though, is a very nice blade. It deserves a good working handle.

BTW, if you do break into my house, do me a favor and don't kick the doberman. He's kinda sensitive about that. :)

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Yesterday I was sitting here , with my lapplander 115 blade. I had some Beech, Oak, Pine, Teak and an ofcut of Walnut. So I decided to give the walnut a try. I quickly realised that without power tools this was not going to be as easy as I thought. I am now sitting here compairing my results with Hoodoo, I have a little more sanding to do and a little finishing and then I will try to get a picture up.
I still cant believe how sharp this blade is.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Hoodoo said:
I've been sitting here trying to imagine what a Lapplander 115 would look like with walnut scales...and ya know...I think I have a pretty good idea. ;)

lapplander115v1c.jpg
i have some walnut in the garden and it is not that dark, how do you get it that dark ?
leon

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
leon-b said:
i have some walnut in the garden and it is not that dark, how do you get it that dark ?
leon

American Walnut (or black walnut as its also called) is usually a darker timber than european walnut.
Its good stuff though as its dead easy to work and doesn't seem to be as abrasive as woods like oak as I did a pub out in the stuff a couple of years ago.

At the time I kept a load of offcuts but as I worked on my house I didn't have the space to keep them and burnt the lot :(

Ah well, some more will turn up on another job.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's the 95 I cordwrapped. it just doesn't grab me. I was going to make it into a necker but it's a bit heavy for my uh...delicate...neck. :D So I'll strip the cord off and put a proper handle on it. I really like the blade. Very compact size but you can do a lot with a blade like this.

lapplander95c.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE