fly infestation?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
It would appear my flat has a fly problem. It seems to be full of fly’s yet every morning I let out at least 10 fly’s and check there all gone then come the morning there’s another 10+ of the bloody things. Any idea where I should be looking for a fly nest (if such things exist) or a good way to get rid of the bloody things. Pic's are of a few from this morning. This all started after the out side of the flats where flooded and ended up with the sewer drains flooding but the buggers some how are getting in the flat even with the windows closed when we are out.

Attachments

• flys 001.jpg
    flys 001.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 24
  • flys 002.jpg
    flys 002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 23

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds more like cluster flies to me. DO you have an area of grass close to the flat? Are you the top floor flat?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
We have grass surrounding the flats and I’m bottom floor. Also it’s a concrete built flat so no dead things I can see or smell here. I think they are attracted to the sewage left on the grass outside but somehow have got into the flat and made a nest somewhere since it makes no sense as to why they keep appearing even with the windows and doors closed.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The dead thing could be in a cavity wall or loftspace anywhere in the building - but the flies are finding there way into your flat through a gap through to the cavity wall (chimney, air brick etc.) If you can't smell it you're lucky - and you may just have to wait for the hatch to finish. A good frost will kill off a lot of them.
Your only alternative is to try to find where they are coming in and seal it up.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sounds more like cluster flies to me. DO you have an area of grass close to the flat? Are you the top floor flat?

Sounds about right
The cluster flies are the genus Pollenia in the blowfly family Calliphoridae. Unlike more familiar blowflies such as the bluebottle genus Phormia, they do not present a health hazard because they do not lay eggs in human food. They are strictly parasitic on earthworms; the females lay their eggs near earthworm burrows, and the larvae then infest the worms. However, the flies are a nuisance because when the adults emerge in the late summer or autumn they enter houses to hibernate, often in large numbers; they are difficult to eradicate because they favour inaccessible spaces such as roof and wall cavities. They are often seen on windows of little-used rooms. They are also sometimes known as attic flies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've never heard of cluster flies; we live and learn :)
Interesting.

I too would have suspected a dead mouse or rat somewhere hidden.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Serious cluster fly attacks are something to behold. I have seen every window in a house completely darkened by thousands of flies in an inch thick layer (they head towards the light). Like something out of a horror film.

Its possible to treat areas where they congregate prior to finding the way into the main dwelling (lofts are a favourite) by using fine droplet insecticides that hang in the air for hours.

My record for cleaning up the boddies is two bin bags full of fly bodies. Thats a LOT of flies :(

If you get them, you get them. The only long term solution is to move.

Red

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Well have just ordered 2x electric fly killers to put either end of the flat and sticky fly paper. That should catch the buggers.

So basically it looks like I’ll just have to put up with them until they finish hatching or we have a cold spell.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Serious cluster fly attacks are something to behold. I have seen every window in a house completely darkened by thousands of flies in an inch thick layer (they head towards the light). Like something out of a horror film.

Its possible to treat areas where they congregate prior to finding the way into the main dwelling (lofts are a favourite) by using fine droplet insecticides that hang in the air for hours.

My record for cleaning up the boddies is two bin bags full of fly bodies. Thats a LOT of flies :(

If you get them, you get them. The only long term solution is to move.

Red

I went reading after your earlier post on them; ye gods but they sound awful :(
I did read a comment that bats are not a bad thing to have in the loft space :D

Truthfully, I am incredibly grateful never to have come across these cluster flies, and I think I'm going to be even more grateful if I never do.

I deal with most things, but an insect in my house is either out or dead.
Grendel you have my utmost sympathy.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hope you get it sorted soon, it must be pretty minging to have them flying around all the time.

We have a strange fly phenomena in our house too, three or four tiny flies seem to enjoy flying around in a circle under the lightshade in the dining room. There must be some funky energy being emitted or something

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hope you get it sorted soon, it must be pretty minging to have them flying around all the time.

We have a strange fly phenomena in our house too, three or four tiny flies seem to enjoy flying around in a circle under the lightshade in the dining room. There must be some funky energy being emitted or something

They hatch from soil in pot plants. Put a small drop of wine in a glass and leave it out - You'll catch them.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I knew that they did "cluster" but didn't know they were called the same.
With a herd of cattle less than 100 yards from the house for most of the year, we get more than our fair share of flies in the house in the warmer months, but it is when things begin to cool down it gets icky.

We have old double glazing which was not fitted by the best team of fitters - there are some gaps from the outside to the body of the frame (no draughts indoors, just gaps around the opening lights) - through the cold periods, flies congregate within the window frame just waiting for the first warm day for someone to open said window, when the room fills with hundreds of the pesky things.
Seems that wasps are pretty common here too, nests either in the attic, shed, garage, hedges, field and even once on a rocky outcrop beside the road!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Talk about fecking typical. Just picked up the Electric fly killers and fly paper from post office yet we haven’t had any flies for the past 3 days. Several days of 50+ flies to none over night?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE