Fly fishing rod help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Guy's,

I was given this cane fly fishing rod? , can any of are fishing guy's help . I would like to restore it and us it.

All help will be good.

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

Cheers
Topknot

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I know it is not 'LIKELY' but it is a possibility that the rod as it stands may be worth something to a collector (there are collectors of old tackle, especially fly gear) so it 'might' be worth doing a little research before getting stuck in with the razor blades and sandpaper....I am not trying to build up your hopes or expectations as it is not likely to be worth a great deal but there is always a chance.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Thank you for your info Drian. Robbi, anything about the rod like how old who make it if you can mate. I only got it to night will have to Google it

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I would somewhat echo Drain Bamaged here, as a collectors item it may be best to leave as is.

I had one, and upon using it to find out how it 'performed', it broke; some of the cane rods do not retain strength or function in perpetuity, I hope yours is a better one than the one I had.

rorymax

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
It looks like a tidy little split cane rod which is something special. Definitely check out any makers marks, if the blank is signed etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Guy's

Sorry no maker marks.

I took the rod to one of the local fishing shops and had a chat with one of the guys in there. Its not one of the great master , if you want it can be restored for a price ha ha or a little project for the dark nights so i might give this ago.
I always fancied having ago at fly fishing.

Cheers
Topknot

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Topknot, before you go spending any money on restoration gear, give it a try first. If eyes are lose simply tie them back with some tape for now. Nothing more soul destroying than working on something only to have it break. Especially if you have trudged off out somewhere with a bundle tackle for the day. Good luck mate.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Hi Guy's,

I was given this cane fly fishing rod? , can any of are fishing guy's help . I would like to restore it and us it.

All help will be good.

View attachment 33722

View attachment 33723

View attachment 33724

View attachment 33725

View attachment 33726

Cheers
Topknot

Is there anything wrong with the rod?
Do you know how to cast a fly/steer a worm?
Since it's not a "great master", I would source 3 brass ferrules, and convert it into a 6-piece that will fit in/on a backpack = hill burn/beck/loch/tarn/lake trout for breakfast on outings :p

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Is there anything wrong with the rod?
Do you know how to cast a fly/steer a worm?
Since it's not a "great master", I would source 3 brass ferrules, and convert it into a 6-piece that will fit in/on a backpack = hill burn/beck/loch/tarn/lake trout for breakfast on outings :p

Hi,

Never fly fish, but it's something I like to have ago at. Chatting with a guy , the rod is dried out and will need soaking in oil . When I get 5 mins to myself I'll strip the rod down and give it ago

Cheers
Topknot

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hi,

I have a old split cane rod in need of some restoration also. I have used it, mainly on Lochs from a boat. Heavy but a very nice casting rod. Get the weight of the Line right.

I used a weight forward line and it could punch above it's weight for distance against more modern tackle.
These rods work very well..Certainly worth getting it back to it's best.

[video=youtube;gwuA7rRy8VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwuA7rRy8VM[/video]

Good luck.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I watched the video posted by Stevie then went to their website for a nose around. I see they've a restoration guide that might be of interest to you TK.

For a couple quid it's worth a punt

41lpEZfnY2L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE