Flour and weevils

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I think they live on the wheat and get into the flour despite the harvesting and milling process. I think They are harmless.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well, my wife's Uncle said that in Burma in the war they picked the weevils out of the bread to start with, but soon gave up and ate the bread with them in it. And he lived into the 21st century.

Geoff

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
When I lived in Bahrain for a while, all the rice - packed or not - had weevils in it. Gave me a bit of a shock the first time, I must admit! However, we just used to pour cold water over it, stir it up a bit, then scoop out the weevils as they floated to the surface. And if a few got by the process, well, its only protein, and therefore good for you. Just think of them as land-based prawns....................

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Reason for asking - I had some flour in the cupboard that had been opened and the top of the bag just folded down any way went to use it some time later and noticed what i think were weevils they were quite minute I allways imagined weevils to be of maggot to small grub size proportions so is this some thing in the flour allready and manifests with time or some thing air born that gets into the flour - made me thick maybe flour has not got a good shelf life

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best bet for storing flour safely is cold and dry and as clean as possible. The usual infestation seems to be psocids. Tiny wee, just coloured, beasties. All female, and self reproducing, so if only one survives your scrubbing attempts, it's one too many :(
Small portions, no more than a bag load to a jar/container, and scrub thoroughly inside and out (and where it was stored) every time it's emptied.
It's also a good idea if you are at all dubious about the flour you've just bought, to put the pack into the freezer for 72 hours. That'll kill off any eggs or larvae even if there are no obvious signs of insect infestation.

Not generally harmful, though they (bits/ waste products) can cause allergice reaction in sensitive individuals.

I find brose, pease meal, is a pest to keep :sigh: I only ever keep it in a sealed jar now, and I generally just keep dried peas and make my own because the commercial stuff just seemed to crawl with in weeks.

cheers,
M

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Don't forget the mill moth, found in flour, rice, and porridge. They can and will infest your whole house if given a chance, and they can fly.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i can remember as a kid Mum picking the weavils from the porrige oats before cooking for breakfast, don't think they did us any harm.

( well, i always thought they were weavils but seeing the post above, Mum could have been wrong i guess, they looked like small black beetles )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE