florida bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I'm planning on going to Florida for some time (approx 9 mnths - maybe 2 yrs), and will really miss the woodland and bushcraft I get right on my doorstep in Hampshire at the moment..

Anyone based out there, or been that can advise on some of the possible buschraft locations/practices that are in the area ? I know it's a big place and I'll be around Titusville, in the Cape Canaveral/Orlando area.

Nothing organised yet - but I'd be interested in hearing if bushcraft exists there - I suppose it must as there's historically been a few Indian tribes in the area..

cheers.

The Everglade has a wide array of wildlife, and home to the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake so be carefull especially around Saw Palmetto if you go. Aside from Aligators Mosquitos and 100% Humidity the park is a great place. However you may want to consider a place that has no State affiliation because of our wonderfull laws here... :rolleyes: But the keys are alway a joy and you have the opportunity to have a break from the stagnant air. It really depends on what your after, hardcore or nice abundance of relaxation and resources.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If you go down to the Glades, TAKE DEET and lots of it! We were there 2 years ago (Flamingo) and I casually climbed from the car on arrival without DEET-ing up first. ("I can do that in a minute or two, once we're settled darling..")
Before my second leg had exited the car the first one was literally covered in mossies :eek: It was like someone had told them all that fresh meat was arriving and given the time, date and location. They came in like #9 shot from a 12 bore!
The "welcoming party" of vultures on the roof of our cabin should have been enough to let us know that we were definitely on the menu if we got anything wrong! *LOL*
Having been told that crocs were dangerous, but aligators ran from humans, we watched a few gators swim past without worry. My girlfriend went for a wander along the riverside whilst I fished one evening and came literally face to face with a very big old lizard on the path. :eek: She said something un-ladylike to it and it left in a hurry. Next day we were told that all the gators had gone inland due to drought leaving the water too saline for them, and that only salt-water crocs remained in the area!
Moral ; Mind the insects, mind where you tread, and mind the big bitey lizards! :)

Have fun, and take a visit or two to Outdoor World (Bass Pro Shops) on International Drive (West of Kissimee, out to the North of the dreaded D-Land)whilst you are there. Go alone and in secret. That way no-one else needs to know just how hard you hammer the credit card ;) I ended up needing 2 trolleys to get the stuff to the car when I went!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE