flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Anyone know where I can get flint for knapping - I can't drive to trips to Norfolk are out and the local chert has a square fracture. I've tried obsidian from aquarium shops but most of it has too many fractures to make something bigger than an arrow head.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
It's a difficult one. There's a UK knapping forum you could try. You'll find it on a search engine. If you do find a source let me know. I'm running out of flint fast. Norfolks along way for me also, traveling from the midlands. I've got a couple of pure nodgules that I'm afraid of cracking open, Just in case I mess up :yikes: I've just returned from the Lake district in search for knappable stone also. I came back with some green stone that we once made polished axe heads out of.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

James

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Realgar said:
Anyone know where I can get flint for knapping - I can't drive to trips to Norfolk are out and the local chert has a square fracture. I've tried obsidian from aquarium shops but most of it has too many fractures to make something bigger than an arrow head.

The Chilterns aren't far from the West Midlands (closer than Norfolk, anyway). An hour down the M40, maybe? There's plenty of flint in the Chiltern chalk, as evidenced by the many old flint and brick buildings.

We have tons of flint down here in East Sussex (Birling Gap; Seven Sisters; Cuckmere Haven, etc.).

Burnt Ash

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would second the suggestion of the Chilterns. Not only are there a lot of flint walled buildings around here, but there are also a lot of old disused workings dotted about the local woods. In many places the ground is littered with bits of flint. Not many unbroken nodules on the surface though.

I don't suppose that TV tube glass would give the thickness you need? There are always plenty of old TVs at dumps. I know that the glass is pretty thick. Ok, :roll: I know it isn't "natural", just a thought.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Chilterns would be easy by railway, I must look up any fishing possibilities round there. I've tried some glass - bottle bases are ok if you can get rid of the ribbed rim around them. I tried a 1/2 inch thick section of lead glass from an old electron microscope but when flaked it leaves a blunt edge - the terminus of the flakes curves steeply back rather than tapering out.

cheers
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE