flint knapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
i went on a natural pathways flintknapping course a couple of years ago . I've practiced a fair bit since then but am still having trouble with pressure flaking. I can detatch small flakes easily enough but can anyone give me any tips on how to progress to detatching those really long flakes. is it a matter of brute force? or is it the angle etc.

A few thoughts in no particular order

- Isolate the flaking platform well below centerline
- Flakes like to run ridges. Use these to your advantage
- I like to work between my knees for addred pressure
- A long Ishi stick type pressure flaker may be helpful
- Keep the tip of your flaker small
- Flakes curve as they run. Flakes made on diagonal seem to run longer

Is it possible the really long flakes you are referencing may actually be from a baton and not pressure flakes at all...?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's a bit of both, you have to aim more into the piece and use more force as well.

The only way I can lift flakes off good flint is to use a longer(about 8") flaker, jam my holding hand firmly against my thigh and place the flaker tip on the platform and the butt of the antler against my stomach.
Then apply all the force I have into it, pushing as though I'm just lifting a short flake. This doesn't do the job. It's not until I lean forward and put the weight of the top half of my body in through the butt of the flaker that it'll go(maybe :rolleyes: ).

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
P.S.
I'm pretty pants at pressure flaking by the way ;) . Was just getting to where I could push off about 20mm flakes from pitchstone when I got my hands on some bulletproof Norfolk flint and was back to 4-5mm instantly. Hopefully others will have more advice on getting the leverage.

Working between the knees? That sounds worth a try!

When I went on a course last year I concentrated soley on percussion. Learning to work a tool core to the point where the flakes straightening out was a massive step in getting my hands on thin, straight flakes suitable for points. After that I'm more of a nibbler.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE