flint knapping with John Lord pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Many folk know that if you want to learn flint knapping in the UK there is no one more respected than John Lord. John teaches courses for various folks and demos around the country but by far the best way to do it is to go and work with him at his home in Norfolk. A friend and I booked a days knapping tuition and I can not recommend it highly enough. John books well in advance but it is worth waiting and traveling for. Here are some pics.

Quick demo of breaking up a big nodule using a hard hammer (rock)

john-lord.jpg

refining things with soft hammer (antler)

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

John recommends small groups for tuition and I can see why, I think 2 students is the perfect number, you get just the right mix of instruction and time to experiment, here is Daniel working under the masters eye.

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

Rough shaping a flake into an arrow head using a stone anvil and antler hammer.

IMG_8663.jpg

More advice, a day even with this amount of one to one instruction is really only the most brief of introductions to the numerous techniques involved but as a taster it was fantastic.

IMG_8644.jpg

Pressure flaking, first shaping the outside form...

IMG_8670.jpg

then more "invasive" flaking to split flakes across the face thinning the head down.

IMG_8684.jpg

This one is mine, looks sort of OK in profile but I didn't really get the invasive flaking working as well as I would have liked. I got on better whacking big rocks.

IMG_8693.jpg

This was Daniel's finished work, he is definitely very much "new stone age man"

IMG_8699.jpg

As for me I am clearly Neanderthal, I enjoyed making big hand axes.

IMG_8702.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg

It is always a joy to spend time with anyone who has complete mastery of their particular skill, the sort of mastery that comes after 10 or in this case 30 years full time at it. The bonus with John is that he also loves to share it, when you catch the flint just right and get a good flake off he is as excited as you are. The most amazing thing about this course was what astonishingly good value it is. £120 per day for John's time so if 2 mates go it's only £60 each. Daniel and I shall be going back next year to play some more.

John's website
http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent stuff Robin, thanks for sharing.

One of Johns courses is on my to do list

Looks like you got the hang of it aswell, good work fella.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
What kind of "tools" do you need for flint knapping?
I found some flint this afternoon and am interested in giving it a try, but antler may be a bit hard to come by.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What kind of "tools" do you need for flint knapping?
I found some flint this afternoon and am interested in giving it a try, but antler may be a bit hard to come by.

The main tool is knowledge. A lot can be done by using a nice rounded rock as a hammer for breaking larger pieces, softer rocks and antler give different results.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
That looks excellent very well done. Just found out that he was up in Aberdeenshire only last month! D'oh!!!! :(

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'd recommend to anyone who's interested, that they do a course with the Lords. The course at the Moot last year was both entertaining and eye-opening in terms of the level of skill and precision involved.

Nice looking hand-axes there too :D

p.s. I was up at Kilmartin a couple of weeks ago - they've got some fantastic examples of John's work in the museum there.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
John and Val are great, I used to see them a few times a year until I changed jobs.

I was looking back over some pics with John Knapping the other day and it inspired me to go out and do some more with the flint I have stacked up in the garden.

I defy anyone to make gravel as well as me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE