Flint help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You'll be lucky to find flint in central Scotland. The geology isn't right.

You find flint in chalk, which you just don't really get in Scotland. Luckily all that metamorphic stuff will provide you with vein quartz.
I guarantee you will find quartz in virtually any outcrop you can find locally. It is predominantly white, and will shatter when hit with a hammer.

http://www.quartzpage.de/gen_occ.html

cheers

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
I also live where flint does not exist, however I was walking along a river once and there was some flint the size of half a house brick laying on the path

Does anyone know how this is possible? It was in south wales

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I'm lucky to have an old chalk quarry near where I shoot and it's good dark flint
Happy to send some for postage

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 20, 2012
Stourbridge
www.etsy.com
Hi all is it just me or am I looking in the wrong place I live in central scotland and cant find any flint ???

You wont find Flint in Scotland, unless you find some old ships ballast on a coastal walk, and that'll be freeze fractured...

But you do have Pitchstone, which is like Obsidian (shouldnt be too hard to track down on the web, or through a geological map), and if you have any limestone deposits or Quarries, you will find Chert which is commonly knapped too - Chert is to Limestone what Flint is to Chalk :)

You can also knap old TV Screen Glass, bottle bottoms (great to learn arrowhead techniques), porcelain and old cisterns and sinks....

Check the website through my Profile, lot of knapping advice where, including where to find knappable rock and how to hit the stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE