Fleece fabric for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
OD green fleece
Is anyone I'm likely to meet up with soonish interested in sharing a bolt of OD green fleece fabric ?

I bought the bolt so that I could get it at not quite trade price, but half what I would normally have paid.

Divided up it works out at about £5 a metre. 150cms wide. Anti pill surfaces.
Happy to split it in metres or half metres.

I have a blanket out of this stuff and it's excellent, but it would also make good jackets, hats, mitts, scarves, hoodies, etc.,
It's the same colour (ish) as my wool bushshirt.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s I can send samples by post but I'm reluctant to send the fabric since it would add onto the price by a fair bit I suspect.
M

Last edited:

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
what weight of fleece is it Toddy? is it the sort of heavy duty stuff that makes Jackets or the felty sort of stuff that makes jumpers?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's jacket weight. It's the stuff that gets lined and trimmed with windstop fabric at the shoulders. Son1 has a reversible Rohan fleece that feels like this but Son2 uses a North Face one that has the shoulder yoke of the windstop stuff and again the fleece feels like the same weight.

I do have a matching fabric that would do very well if anyone wants to make one of those style of fleece jackets for themselves. iirc I paid £4 a metre for that stuff. I've used what I needed of it, happy to sell on at the same price I paid for it.

I find sewing fleece to be a pain. I don't mind small stuff like hats and gloves but my biggest length I just cut neatly and use it as a blanket. It's light weight, warm and snuggles nicely inside my sleeping bag :D

Happy to send samples.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some photos of the fleece fabric

IMG_1201.JPG

Next to my bushshirt......the light's not quite right but it does give a fair idea.
IMG_1196.JPG

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You want some Boss ?
I'll bring it down to the Moot if you like, I just didn't want to find myself looking at a bolt of OD fleece for the next umpteen years as I tried to use it up :D

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd happily buy a pair of wristlets with thumbholes from you Mary ;)

I don't know if I'm over the border again this month but I'll give you a shout anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tell you what, sketch out or describe thoroughly what you want, 'cos I'm doing a tutorial just now showing all the things I can make from a metre of fleece fabric, and they'd fit in nicely. No charge, I'm sort of in a sewing small things mood :D

cheers,
Mary

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Tell you what, sketch out or describe thoroughly what you want, 'cos I'm doing a tutorial just now showing all the things I can make from a metre of fleece fabric, and they'd fit in nicely. No charge, I'm sort of in a sewing small things mood :D

cheers,
Mary

Hood would be nice,something that you could use with hoodless jackets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a medieval style one done.......the kind with the shoulder yoke, a balaclava style one and I'm kind of trying a hybrid pattern. I'm aiming for a hood but with a deep neck that comes down longer at the front to fill in the neckline of a jacket or shirt. Just need to get the curve width right so that it doesn't sit like a hump at the back of the neck.

I've also made a pattern for a hood that is made in a long scarf length for one of my friend's little girls. Her brother is getting a hat.

If you have a different idea for a hood, will you let me know ?

cheers,
M

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I've got a medieval style one done.......the kind with the shoulder yoke, a balaclava style one and I'm kind of trying a hybrid pattern. I'm aiming for a hood but with a deep neck that comes down longer at the front to fill in the neckline of a jacket or shirt. Just need to get the curve width right so that it doesn't sit like a hump at the back of the neck.

I've also made a pattern for a hood that is made in a long scarf length for one of my friend's little girls. Her brother is getting a hat.

If you have a different idea for a hood, will you let me know ?

cheers,
M

well your idea is just about the same i had.hood that reaches to shoulders,about,and it could have zipper or somethin to close it up more,to cover mouth and nose.Id pay for hood like that,easily,something.so it would serve as hood,but as it reaches to shoulders,you could put it down on your back too,like in hoodie shirts,but it would also work as sort of balaclava due to the zipper.Put a length of plastic covered electric wire in it,and it would be top notch since you could form the hood and it wouldnt drop to your eyes,as the wire would stiffen it.SOme uk smocks have wired hoods like these.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not touting for business, my order book is sitting at over a years worth of work to be done as it is. This is just me playing around and making stuff for a tutorial.

However, I like the idea, but how warm do you need this to be ? This metre of fleece is warm but not windstop and no more than shower proof.

I did make a wool hoodie for my husband, it doesn't come up over his face though, but it does cover his neck and just over his shoulders and chest. He wears it when he goes walking wearing a hoodless jacket.
The problem is that there's no way to make that kind of hoodie to be worn outside a jacket without the wearer looking like an extra from Robin Hood :rolleyes: It has to be tucked in.
I can take photos tomorrow if you like and probably sketch designs and patterns for you too. Bound to be someone out your way who could make a hood up for you ?

Tonight I'm making mitts :D

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

cheers,
Mary

Something along these lines Mary.

A tube long enough to go six inches up the arm.
A piece long enough to cover the back of the hand, but the palm will be open.
Two holes to put your fingers through
One thumb hole

A quick MS Paint jobby ...
wristlet.jpg

That's probably as clear as mud sorry :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Och, that's no bother :)
Let me get this right, it comes down to the start of your fingers and it's stitched between the middle and ring finger to hold it on ?

Funnily enough.........I've been playing with a pattern for mitts for Russ that have fold back cuffs on the fingers and another on the thumb.....but the basic design was just as you have described but with all four fingers covered.

Let me have a play, I'll take some photos tomorrow and if I've gotten it right, they're yours :D

Do me a favour ? measure the length you need and around your wrist, your forearm and the palm of your hand, please ?

cheers,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Och, that's no bother :)
Let me get this right, it comes down to the start of your fingers and it's stitched between the middle and ring finger to hold it on ?

Funnily enough.........I've been playing with a pattern for mitts for Russ that have fold back cuffs on the fingers and another on the thumb.....but the basic design was just as you have described but with all four fingers covered.

Let me have a play, I'll take some photos tomorrow and if I've gotten it right, they're yours :D

Do me a favour ? measure the length you need and around your wrist, your forearm and the palm of your hand, please ?

cheers,
M

Great stuff Mary :)

I need to dig the tape measure out in the morning as it's buried in boxes at the moment, we're having a shift around at home this weekend :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE