Flask Info Please?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Guys, bought this the other day, and can't seem to find out anything about it, so if one of you worldly wise fellows could shed some light on it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ivan...

Flask 001.jpg

Flask 002.jpg

Flask 003.jpg

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well, either everyone is sniggering behind my back! Or i have a very valuable flask!

Could somebody put me out of my misery please?

Ivan...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Ivan,

I'd say Eastern Bloc defiantly, though pinning it down further from the pics is hard, the Chinese and Albanians have really similar bottles and harnesses to yours. Are there any marks on it anywhere. Take it it's aluminium? Possible to take a close up of the threads on the neck? Sorry can't be more helpful at the moment. (Thought we'd be bound to have a water bottle expert on here!)
Cheers
GB.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Chainsaw, i too found that site, which is obviously mass produced tat, but this thing looks and feels a lot older, i would like to think i am right!!

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
GB, it's definately aliminium, it was in a cabinet in an antique shop, and i am not prepered to divulge how much i gave for it! The paint and dents make it look aged, but who knows?

Ivan...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
99% sure its chinese PLA issue. Used since the 60's also saw alot of action in other eastern block communist states - I've seen them in vets VN collections in the past.

The green webbing suggests 80's+ though as the early ones i've seen had a tan cotton strap.

Fairly widely avalible in airsoft, military surplus shops in Asia and not uncommon at military fairs over here

usually appear for a tenner or so

interestingly the VC/NVA used to scrat the paint off as their interpretation of trench art

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks, chaps pretty much as i thought! Yeah right, don't think it will be appearing on the Antiques Roadshow anytime soon. Well now the truth, i paid £6.00 for it and as i am a bit dissapointed it's not the rarity i thought it was, the first one of you that answered my query, i will post it to them as a gift!!

But not untill next Tuesday.

Ivan...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice Ivan, but I've water bottles coming out of my lugs up here. If the others don't claim it what about putting it into the Drew raffle/prize/collection?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks, chaps pretty much as i thought! Yeah right, don't think it will be appearing on the Antiques Roadshow anytime soon. Well now the truth, i paid £6.00 for it and as i am a bit dissapointed it's not the rarity i thought it was, the first one of you that answered my query, i will post it to them as a gift!!

But not untill next Tuesday.

Ivan...

thing is with undated stuff - it could be and you might never know it - convince the right person it was a real deal ex Vietnam VC's flask that was captured by a 5 star general who later gifted it to Elvis Presley it'll be worth a mint :)

however my first guess would be its been sitting in a PLA army supply depot for 20 years and got shifted in the last decade when they switched to plastic and realised they could make a fortune dumping their old stuff onto the suplus market.

couldn't get PLA gear 10 years ago now the markets swamped

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey GB, good idea i will chuck something else in too, but someone will have to direct me or PM an address to send said items.

Ivan...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the same bottle had it many years cant even recall where i bought it but i believe it was an army surplus shop and it wasnt expensive if i get chance ill check mine out to see if there are any markings... i dont use mine now as i use a crusader type plastic one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE