Flag Fen - Primitive event

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Copied from the NFAS webboard (with permission of Mark)

We have a rather special event planned for Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th February. It isn't a shoot as such, more a gathering of those interested in bow making and primitive skills. The very special part is that it is at Flag Fen in a Bronze Age setting.
We have exclusive use of the Flag Fen site, not far from Peterborough. This is one of Britian's largest and most important Bronze Age archaeological sites. See http://www.flagfen.com/index.html for further details. The web site does not do justice to the real thing. Sitting at the entrance to one of the roundhouses you could so easily be back 2000 years in the past.

On site there are a three reconstructed roundhouses, two bronse age and one iron age, which we will have the use of and can sleep in. For me this alone makes the weekend worth attending. Those who wish to can camp in less primitive tents. We will have use of all site facilities including luxurious and completely non-primitive toilets. The site is set in the English Fenlands and is really a unique primitive setting.

We plan on getting together, chatting about bushcraft, primitive skills, bow making, etc. Those who wish to can set to making a primitve bow in an ancient setting, making those primitive arrows you meant to get around to, a bit of flint knapping or anything else that takes your fancy. Any bow made in a roundhouse just has to be special! Talk about medicine!

We will have use of the whole site while it is shut to the public so a roving shoot of some kind is a good possibility.

The event will be self catered. Bring your own food and drink, especially drink as you'll need something to wet your whistle while we gather around the roundhouse fire in the long evening and tell tall tales of bows that almost worked. Those who have imbibed too freely will be able to sleep deeply under the roundhouse thatch, until the noise made by primitves doing what they do best (talking) drags them from the warmth of the fire.

There will be a small charge to cover the cost of hiring the site, likely to be in the region of £10 or so for the whole weekend. The more that come the less the charge will be. If you want to attend please let me know at markdesignhill@aol.com

All from any nation and any area of primitive skills interest are very welcome. This is a very special opportunity. Please pass this message on to those you think may be interested

Mark Hill

I've got my name down :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE