Fjallraven Singi /Sarek jacket?

Jan 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Hi all,
One of the things that led me here was a quest for information on some items of clothing.
I'm currently using a Fjallraven Keb jacket, which I do like, but it has a few flaws which I've exposed during my ownership. The biggest problem for me is that it has large softshell stretch panels which do a really poor job of repelling thorns, brambles, etc when you walk through or brush against them.
Otherwise I like it. It could possibly do with a couple of lower pockets or maybe an inside pocket, but that's just preference (since I bought it they've brought out the Lappland jacket, which is the same as the Keb but has those lower pockets on. They aren't paying me anything for the idea...)
Anyway, I was wondering about a replacement when this has tackled one thorn bush too many, and I like the look of the Singi jacket (used to be Sarek). Does anybody have one, and would you recommend it? The only thing I think I'd miss from the Keb is the ventilation zips, as I can get a bit warm, but that's something I can probably live with.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I got the Sarek but little experience of the thornes and brambles you speak of.

I have had the Sarek for two years and have yet to find a fault (the price might be the one exception). Great jacket.
It has seen quite a bit and is my EDC.

I have no love for the strech material in an outdoors setting, even if it is nice to wear strechy pants at the office (got a liberal dress code :))

Greger

Jan 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Thank you. The thorns only affect the stretchy part of my other jacket, the rest is a similar fabric to the Sarek/Singi so should be fine. I have trousers as well which never have any problems even when walking directly through brambles :cool:
A random question, but important to me: are the pockets fairly roomy. I hate wearing binoculars around my neck, so I like to pocket them if I can.
As for price, that's not a concern for me. Not because I'm rich, but because my brother-in-law is able to get me a substantial discount which makes Fjallraven just about affordable.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Well that depends a bit on the binoculars, I guess.
I did a test with my field bino's (roughly 15x15x5cm):
20170120_140403_zpslekk9doh.jpg

The pic lies a bit as the pocket appears cavernous, I think...but it fits with quite some room to spare.

Greger

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i"ve had a Sarek for just over 2 years swell, and i love it. It is my go to jacket, even causing me to ignore my lovely ventile jacket. Now it has had a good few coats of wax (G1000 and Nikwax spray), it is pretty watertight and i seems to stand up to thorns etc very well. Maybe not as heavy duty as a proper wax but so much more comfortable and practical. So much so, my good lady has just bought the winter version and is yet to take it off (i joke not, lol).
The pockets are pretty good, i can just get my 10x42s in one. Also love the sleeve pocket, always has my loupe and lip balm in.
OOOOOOO you can get FR discount? I'll be your friend :rolleyes:.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE