fjallraven no. 8 - what is your opinion ???? should I ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Just had a google.....very nice, I like that a lot but at £375 i'd be terrified to take it into the woods!

May 23, 2012
Highlands
Hi Swotty

I can find on offer for £250 !!! Kit is meant to be used

I use the Swedish Vindblus - I've dyed : orange, olive green & earth brown

Just looking for that bit more .......

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I agree Fjallraven is definately meant to be used i'd certainly go for one if my budget permitted.

Have you had a look at some of the Snowsled kit?

May 23, 2012
Highlands
Aye looked at ventile

Same £200/£300 mark !!!!

So its either or

Youtube has a G1000 before & after a waxing :)
By a German man

I like the look of no.8 & Johan is great outdoorsman

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
Thank you for you input, now I am hooked for the Jacket No. 68, looking for a good price for the jacket, as the regular price is a bit ridiculous. But the few dealers with good prices are sold out, rightly so, I assume. Any proposals where to look?

Thank your very much
Heinz

slowjunk

Jan 15, 2013
Denmark
I just got a new one and wore it on a trip recently. It was nice overall. Unfortunately when I received it it was missing a button and there were no extra buttons on the jacket and a couple other buttons were barely attached. The rest of the jacket looked good but the missing button and poorly stitched ones really is disappointing for something so damn expensive. One complaint about the jacket is that there is a strap that goes through your crotch to keep the anorak from riding up when the wind is really blowing and that strap is only secured with a snap button. If you stretch or put any tension on the strap the snap button can pop loose. The snap button fastener may work well if you have a lot of slack (not tall like me) but I wouldn't count on it. I have contacted Fjallraven to see if they can send me some buttons and I am really hoping they don't want hundreds of Euros for replacement buttons.:lmao:

Apr 19, 2013
Norway
I picked up a nr8 anorak at a winter sale. At 50 % discount I can't go wrong - 10 £ more than the Bergans morgedal. The stitching looks good and its well articulated regarding arm movement's. I haven't field tested it yet, but the first impression is massive. It makes me feel like Ray Mears wearing a bulletproof bombsuit and ready to roundkick Chuck Norris ;)
Overall I'm pleased with the first impression, next phase is to wear it outside.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thank you for you input, now I am hooked for the Jacket No. 68, looking for a good price for the jacket, as the regular price is a bit ridiculous. But the few dealers with good prices are sold out, rightly so, I assume. Any proposals where to look?

Thank your very much
Heinz

I've got - and love - the No.68. It's a great jacket: well designed and well made. OK it's pricey but it's definitely worth tracking one down. I reviewed mine more fully on the members' reviews and testing bit of this site.

Where to look? I'm afraid I can't help there but you are definitely looking at a really good, usable jacket.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The Fjallraven trousers, Montt and Greenland jacket I have are very well made. However, the most robust cotton-fabric-based outdoor jacket I have is the BushcraftUK jacket - sadly, no longer available. I believe it was based on a Westwinds Ventile design but i'm guessing price-wise it'll come in similar to the No 8 and the Bergans jackets described above.

Just realised - I'm wearing it in my avatar!

Hi, yes it looks good. I use Fjallraven kit for years, I still have a few pairs of trousers. I would save my money. I feel the UK pricing is high. Bergan, Morgedal looks nice, I like Epic, it works well. But even there, I would put my money into one of these. http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/Liathach-Cotton-Analogy-Extreme-Smock--1.html I believe, and I have a number of other Ventile jackets it will not only out perform both of these garments, it will also last longer. One of my smocks was purchased in 1974. I still have it. Have fun.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I have one found one on 50% discount last winther.
Rare worn, too much "extrem expedition" looking jacket.
con.
Huge (only with layers or one size down), extreme oversized hood (do not like), very heavy in comparison to softshell or gore-tex jackets. Stupid expensive.
pro
Bomb proof like military gear, excellent quality, comfortable (exception hood)

For rial expedition to heavy and not waterproof like gore-tex, for casual pretty strange looking.

Not worth regular price, already to expensive in 50%.

Last edited:

Tjpippa

Dec 5, 2014
Kent
Well I got one of these for Christmas and I've got to say I'm really pleased with it. I wore it all day today out shooting and working my dogs and it was perfect. Early days obviously but really liked it. The fits nice, the hood and neck covering was very adjustable which I was very pleased about. It's cold but not as cold as it has been and it was lovely with a short and tshirt under, although I did start of with a fleece jumper too.

The only complaint I have it's the wrist adjusters, ther could do with being one more to make it a bit more snug.

Yes it's pricey, and there is definitely cheaper stuff out there. I also have a rivers west smock which I love and a ridgeline smock, which is nice but I find that gets very damp on the inside due to condensation/sweat so the Fjallraven will definitely be the go to smock for the time being while I keep trying it out!

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
I too wanted an Fjallraven no.8, but like you didn't want to pay amount four hundred quid.

Instead I spent about a month haunting the 'Bay looking for something similar and discovered that Fjallraven tends to put out 'new' lines which are variations (or improvements) on old designs such as this: the Fjallraven Marma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxAejWz4qUM.

It's pretty darned close in design and features to the No.8. And it certainly performs well in Scandinavia - the perfect shell for arctic layering when you're around open fires and not getting a lot of snow. I think it was about £50, sent from Romania.

Not seen any for sale recently, but might be worth adding to your search?

Tjpippa

Dec 5, 2014
Kent
Woodlore has the anorak 8 reduced by £50 to £300 at the minute.

An update on mine.....I absolutely love it! It's working really well for me. Getting loads of use, both in the woods, in the rain and out training the dogs. Even managed it with Jean around town and was happy it was suitable!

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Had a Fjällräven Gutulia Anorak for years, love it, my go to jacket in winter in the woods and in town. Washed and [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3, Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro, メイリオ, Meiryo, MS Pゴシック, arial, sans-serif]re-waxed once a year, bomb proof.

[/FONT]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE