Fjallraven granit shirt & keb trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im thinking of finally getting a decent set of clothing for my bushcraft/camping/hiking outings.

I really like the fjallraven granit shirt & keb pants, can you recommend anything similar that I may have looked past? I love the look of the shoulder protection on the shirt and the air vents on the trousers sold me but I'm open to suggestions and criticism.

Also any tips on where to buy these from would also be appreciated, I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks the green colour shirt in small. Even the fjallraven official shops out of stock.

Thank you

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Hi,

I had the same issue finding the shirt in small/green. Great shirt for most of the year.

managed to find it here in December so may still have stock

https://completeoutdoors.co.uk/ it...s down but might be worth giving them a ring.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I tried the Keb trousers for women once, in several sizes. It is obviously not ment for people with booty... I suspect you would need a very flat bottom to feel comfortable in them.
Maybe they are different for men, but I recommend you try them before deciding to buy them.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
9.1 Tactical make really high quality clothing. Not sure if you can get them in UK though.
I personally find most trousers to be to hot in the crotch area so I walk around with the fly open. That is outside populated areas of course.

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
+1 for the barrents pro or the vidda pros. Have several pairs and are really comfy. never tried the Keb as have always been put off by the stretch panels as i constantly find myself pushing through brambles and don't think they last.
I also have several greenland shirts and a canada, and wear them all the time, so i'd imagine the granite would become a fav very quickly.
You could try ordering direct from Fjallraven.co.uk, if they don't have stock, they will notify you when they get them back in.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Where in the uk are you? Scotland is a bit different to Cornwall. I wear vidda pro trousers (adjusting wax to season). They look manky now but very functional. G1000 shirt, actual name. It's like a light jacket for summer too. And swanndri ranger on top if it's cold / spitting. In winter add thermals, mosgiel shirt, etc etc. but good choices yep.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Also mosquitos bite through the stretch panels. That's not nice in some parts of Sweden where I live.

But I find it harder and harder to find decent polycotton pants without stretch panels.

My go to pants right now are Klättermusen Gere, but they are a bit warm in mid summer and are not polycotton. And Fjällräven Singi (but I'm not sure those are still available).

Last edited:

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
Thank you all for the replies!

I am in the mid south east of England so a fairly temperate part of the UK.

I hadn't realized that the keb pants had the stretch issue so thank you all for bringing that to my attention.

I was looking at the Brent's as my second option but I'll check out the Vidda pro's too. Is there that much of a difference between them, or is it mainly the adjustable bottoms?

I've managed to find a granit shirt finally and am die to order it, I'll be sure to do a review if anyone would like?

One last question, how long would you say the Greenland wax lasts in regards to outings, would you say it needs a record after a few wears?

Thanks again!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hmmmm, as to waxing, i guess it depends on your level of activity and what terrain you're moving through. My Serak jacket, which doesn't get washed very often has had several coats of wax (both G1000 and nikwax spray on wax) and is pretty watertight. My various trousers, which get washed regularly, don't have the same resistance. Fjallraven reckon on 2 washes at 40c to totally gets most of the wax out. i Use both waxes on the knees and seat areas and top them up after every couple of washes and generally have dry knees and bum. but if you're looking to keep totally dry, its best not to wash them at all and not wear them as everyday trousers like me (i rarely wear anything else, But then, i am very sad).

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
Just an update, I finally managed to get my granit shirt! It did take some searching to find it.

I'm really impressed with it, there's definately room for me to 'grow' into it and fill it out too. At first I thought it was going to be really itchy but it's not as bad as anticipated.

Its my first hands on experience with the G1000 material, I'm impressed, I was caught in a light shower and the water shed off of the shoulders with no settling. The construction overall is superb.

I have ordered a small Greenland wax block for post washing application, is this best done with a hair dryer? I've heard it's easier than the tumble drier method.

I've decided to take the advice above and look for some Vidda pro's / Barents rather than the keb trousers as the short longevity of the stretch panels has put me off. I'm keeping my eye out for second hand pairs at this stage.

Thanks again all for your help.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE