Fjallraven Canada shirt or Swanndri ranger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
As the days are getting shorter and the world becomes cooler I'm thinking about my outdoor clothing. The only peice of clothing I'm lacking is a midlayer type top and was considering these two. Any thoughts on the matter?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I found the lining on my swanni ranger to be too rustly and annoying so cut it out ! I read that others found it softened with repeated washing but mine didn't seem to.

Cheers, Paul

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
No experience of the Fjallraven but I find the quality of the Chinese made Swanndri's to be inferior to the original NZ made ones. I'd be inclined to keep scanning eBay for a Pendleton or Woolrich shirt/jacket.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It might be worth considering the Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt as an alternative to the Swannie/Fjallraven options. They're extremely good, hard wearing and comfortable and have the added unspoken bonus of being made in the U.K., thereby supporting home industry.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It might be worth considering the Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt as an alternative to the Swannie/Fjallraven options. They're extremely good, hard wearing and comfortable and have the added unspoken bonus of being made in the U.K., thereby supporting home industry.

Spot on!.............

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've got both the swannie and the Canada shirt. I do find myself wearing the canada more regularly, it's softer and i prefer the collar. saying that, the swannie (one of the older NZ ones) has been all over the place and still looks as good as new. Am sorely temped with the new green check canada,

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
I've got both the swannie and the Canada shirt. I do find myself wearing the canada more regularly, it's softer and i prefer the collar. saying that, the swannie (one of the older NZ ones) has been all over the place and still looks as good as new. Am sorely temped with the new green check canada,
Cheers pal that was what I was looking for, hoping somebody owned both. What about comparing them? Which is warmest, fits best etc

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
fit wise, the Canada shirt is a closer fit, more like a regular shirt, but with space underneath for some decent thermals. the Swannie is a much looser fit, i guess because it is a pull on. the Canada's wool is softer and i reckon slightly thicker but the swannie is probably more hard wearing, but i find it is a much coarser material that can feel a bit scratchy. the Canada i feel is definitely warmer, but i only wear it in winter, the swannie is great for autumn, spring as well.
if i had to choose between the 2.....
i think i'd go for the Canada, as it is more of an everyday wear. both have pros and not many cons. but i prefer the fit and the softer wool of the Canada.
i hope this helps mate.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
fit wise, the Canada shirt is a closer fit, more like a regular shirt, but with space underneath for some decent thermals. the Swannie is a much looser fit, i guess because it is a pull on. the Canada's wool is softer and i reckon slightly thicker but the swannie is probably more hard wearing, but i find it is a much coarser material that can feel a bit scratchy. the Canada i feel is definitely warmer, but i only wear it in winter, the swannie is great for autumn, spring as well.
if i had to choose between the 2.....
i think i'd go for the Canada, as it is more of an everyday wear. both have pros and not many cons. but i prefer the fit and the softer wool of the Canada.
i hope this helps mate.
Cheers. That's really helpful. I've gone for the Canada in the autumn colours. Looks great

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like my Swanni but I like my homemade better :)
Out of the commercial ones I would at present go for a Bison - made in Wales by people I know and trust to do a good job (they also made some wool shirts to my design that I love to bits :) )

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The quality of the Bison one's are superb. I like to wear them as a shirt & the issue I had with the bison one, was that it fit in the body very well, but I couldn't fasten the cuffs or the top button.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE