Fjallraven alternatives - less than £50

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm a big fan of Fjallraven trousers, so much so I think I'm up to six pairs now. But I was shopping around a few weeks ago and came across some Swed Team trousers at Bushwear in Stirling, they looked really good and at nearly half the price of Fjallravens I thought I'd give them a go.
They turned up today and I have to say I think I'm really going to get along with these. Unfortunately I took a gamble and went for a 33" waist, normally this would be perfect but with the Sweds they were just a bit too slim around the top of the legs for my liking. The waist was perfect but I'd never be able to get my Ullfrotte base layers on underneath when the weather gets colder. So I'm going to exchange these for the next size up and see how I go with those.
I wanted to take some pics but I've packaged them up for return so I'll do a mini review when my replacements turn up.

I went for the brown and black ones as I seem to favour my Fjallravens Barents in that scheme too. Really nice shade of brown and the build quality is superb, probably to be expected from Swedish manufacturers.
Double layer contrast patches on the seat and knees, adjustable legs bottoms and more pockets than I know what to do with. I will say they don't have the depth of the Fjallraven pockets, I found the long thin knife pocket really useful just for slipping my Laplander in occasionally.

The fabric is 65% poly and 35% bomull, a bit of googling tells me this is organic cotton so a similar mix to Fjallravens.

So if anyone's in the market for some new trews definitely have a look at these if you can. I like them so much that I think I'm going to get a pair of the green ones too, and still probably make a saving on a single pair of Fjallravens.

Proper review soon.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry mate, I'm not sure whether they do any other lengths. That's another tick in the Fjallraven box with their unfinished legs.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sorry mate, I'm not sure whether they do any other lengths. That's another tick in the Fjallraven box with their unfinished legs.

I've banged off an email to them so we'll see. I love my Barents and they do look like a nice alternative.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had two pairs of these. In both cases the zippers (both pockets and fly) died well before the fabric or stiching did. I also dislike the many-small-pockets style, and the shallow front pockets, but that is a personal preference. In consequence I won't buy any more of them.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've been past that shop a few times now (it's on the way to the canoe shop :D ) and never went in. Think I'll need to pay it a visit to replace my embarrassingly faded 5 year old, holey, black combats :eek: A couple of my fishing mates recommend it too and I just must see the real tree tie

Cheers for posting this, forgotten about it!

Alan

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've got a couple of pairs and as forestwalker says the zips aren't the strongest.

It's a rear pocket and thigh pocket that've bust on me.

As long as the fly remains ok then i'm pleased.

Mind you I probably wear mine more than others,what you see me wearing at a meet is what I wear day in and day out.

So they are pretty robust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE