fixing knife handle? please help

Mar 14, 2012
uk
hi guys am making my fist fixed bladed knife and have made blade and handle but how do you fix a rectangular/square tang into a wooden handle. i know a few methods like burning it in and cutting a slot into a dowel and then inserting tang and glueing dowel into handle. but im a bit scared to try both of these methods as im scared i might muck it up an ruin something!
Thanks Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just use a round drill bit a 1mm larger than the tang and drill 2 or 3 holes so they overlap, file out any protrusions. The front bolster covers the hole created, but the front bolster needs either milling out, or drilling with smaller holes than the tang and filing out into a square hole just big enough for the tang to fit into. This bolster will keep the blade alligned in the main handle block while the epoxy cures. Then to be extra secure, just drill a hole through block and tang from the side and glue a pin in. :)

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I've learnt something new from you know HillBill, 1mm larger, that will make things easier for me in the future.
Cheers mate.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries.:)

Its just easier for fitting into the handle block and epoxy cures as hard if not harder than most woods just make sure the hole is well filled with it. Thats just the way i've done it in the past, it may not be the best way.:)
The bolster is the critical part, get that right and its all good.
By 1mm larger i meant 1mm wider, so a 4mm drill bit for a 3mm thick tang for example, :)

Let me know how you get on Hugo, like i said, it worked for me, but may not be the best way. :)

Just make sure the blade is aligned with the handle before allowing the epoxy to cure. Araldite precision being the most suitable due to its long working time. :)

I've learnt something new from you know HillBill, 1mm larger, that will make things easier for me in the future.
Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2012
uk
Just use a round drill bit a 1mm larger than the tang and drill 2 or 3 holes so they overlap, file out any protrusions. The front bolster covers the hole created, but the front bolster needs either milling out, or drilling with smaller holes than the tang and filing out into a square hole just big enough for the tang to fit into. This bolster will keep the blade alligned in the main handle block while the epoxy cures. Then to be extra secure, just drill a hole through block and tang from the side and glue a pin in. :)

sounds interesting but could you post some pics on the holes in handle as i dont really understand that.
Thanks ed

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
sounds interesting but could you post some pics on the holes in handle as i dont really understand that.
Thanks ed
I don't have any pics of it mate.

Just think of 3 holes drilled in a straight line, but so close together that it makes one longer hole rather than 3 separate ones. You may only need 2 if the tang isnt too wide. All the holes need to be joined up. Then you file the inside of the hole flat as there will be protrusions where the holes have overlapped.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
cool i understand now but last night i glued it together with gorilla glue in a hole too wide for the tang but just high enough and i checked it this morning and it seems to have worked fine need to clear up the excess glue tonight and put final edge o but it looks good so far.
Thanks Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE