Fixed blade knife for under £30?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Al Fresco

May 8, 2012
Bristol
I'm wanting to buy a fixed blade knife... for under £30 ....but before everyone shouts MORA at me!...
can I add, I'm probably leaning towards the ascetically pleasing, way too 'shallow' side of things to just get just a good functionable tool!...

I want an object of beauty (that is also functionable)

I'm sure the Mora's are great but I just can't get into the look of them & the rubber/plastic thing ..I'd like a wooden handle & I don't mind a leather sheath, even if it's liable to staining & not drying out easily!

If I had more budget I'd probably get an Enzo Trapper...

But I quite like the look of the Blackfox Hunter & have seen some favourable reviews...
http://www.heinnie.com/Blackfox-Knives/Fixed-Blade-Knives/Blackfox-Hunter/p-589-1126-4036/

Any views on this one?

Any other advice, gratefully received....

Cheers...

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Or a Mora classic?
Admittedly not quite so butch as some but the No 1
has a laminated blade and a leather sheath plus a wood
handle. Just swapped mine but it's a great knife for
about £25.
Cheers. Simon

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
+1 for modding a mora. A few bits on here to show what they look like in wood. Im sure for a small fee someone would do the job for you. First choose the mora that suits you and then find a piece of handle material and ask nicely to see if someone is willing to do the job for you.

Good quality blades with the personal touch.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have owned a Black Fox Hunter and it is a very strong, capable and sharp from the factory knife. The only reason I don't have it now is because I sold it, along with a few other knives to fund the purchase of the Ray Mears Busshcraft knife. For the price it is a steal, any dealing with Hennies is always a pleasure. The Boker Bushcraft Knife though looks amazing for the price, whilst I have never seen one in the flesh I'd be very temptem to buy one if I was looking for a new knife.

My advice........flip a coin.....sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
even though it is made with 440C it is worth every penny

Know what you mean Lynx, it wasn't that long ago that 440C was a supersteel of it's day but it got an unfair and dodgy rep because a few of manufacturers used bad heat treatment...........should be OK quality control with the Boker label and a bombproof after sales retailer with Heinnie, i even think that the price includes a firesteel, massive value for money and a great knife IMO

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Know what you mean Lynx, it wasn't that long ago that 440C was a supersteel of it's day but it got an unfair and dodgy rep because a few of manufacturers used bad heat treatment...........should be OK quality control with the Boker label and a bombproof after sales retailer with Heinnie, i even think that the price includes a firesteel, massive value for money and a great knife IMO

Don't mind the steel but I'm wondering how thick the handle is? Looks like it might be a tad on the narrow side. Also, the bevel looks a bit short and thick.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Don't mind the steel but I'm wondering how thick the handle is? Looks like it might be a tad on the narrow side. Also, the bevel looks a bit short and thick.

Absolutely..........but which knife would you prefer for wood processing, that or the Black Fox?
The OP has ruled out a Mora and for £30-40 budget you are not going to get a custom grind or tailor made handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE