Fishing with a pen rod - complete beginner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hey folks I'm purchasing a cheap lightweight pen fishing rod this is what I'm going to purchase.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Tele...ds_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item565542fb0c

What would I need to make this complete? A hook a lure a weight?
I have no knowledge on fishing but I want to purchase a cheap one to take while backpacking along the canals. This is in the UK.
If you could just advise me on what I need to complete a bare-bones fishing set. I assume people will comment on the price and quality of the product but let me stress that I'm only interested in whipping out the rod set when I'm camped near the canal near the end of the day or early in the morning.
Thanks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The picture shows a reel but there's not one anywhere in the description. At that price I expect you'll have to buy a reel and line separately.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I guess I didn't read down far enough. Never fished for carp (they're a trash fish here) but yeah, you'll need a bit of tackle and bait. Someone more knowledgeable about carp fishing should be along soon to help you with what's specific to carp.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
1a. Lure, and bite proof trace
or
1b. Float, hooks, weights, bait
and
2. rod licence,
3. day ticket for the stretch you intend to fish ;)

don't get many carp in canals as far as I recall, you'll more likely be fishing for roach or perch, float for the former, lure or float for the latter

Last edited:

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I guess I didn't read down far enough. Never fished for carp (they're a trash fish here) but yeah, you'll need a bit of tackle and bait. Someone more knowledgeable about carp fishing should be along soon to help you with what's specific to carp.

Is it unique to carp fishing? Honestly I don't bloody know what fish are in the canal. I know they vary greatly in size. I've seen a few big ones. Anyone know what type of fish live in our canals?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I'd get yourself at its most basic some small hooks (size 12-14), a set of shot (weights), some floats and float stops, a plummet and a disgorger. That's all you need for a spot of float fishing really. Oh and some bait :), sweetcorn is a good one for little roach and bream.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it unique to carp fishing? Honestly I don't bloody know what fish are in the canal. I know they vary greatly in size. I've seen a few big ones. Anyone know what type of fish live in our canals?

The rod? Probably not. It looks like a general ultralite pack rod from the photo.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I'd get yourself at its most basic some small hooks (size 12-14), a set of shot (weights), some floats and float stops, a plummet and a disgorger. That's all you need for a spot of float fishing really. Oh and some bait :), sweetcorn is a good one for little roach and bream.

What's roach?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
What's roach?

11roach.jpg

Small common fish in our waters, pretty things they are too :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There are some huge carp in our canal systems, especially after floods when they have escaped from lakes. It's not uncommon for them to be 20/30lbs in canals.
Like has been said in a previous post you would need license, day ticket(if needed on the stretch your fishing)
and some basic gear to go with your rod and reel. Bread is a good alround bait, lures can be good.
if I were you I would read up on the basics like species and what bait to use.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Haven't read through al the replies, but must mention that only a mini reel will fit on these rods, obtainable from mini pPernod sites. I think that the rods are only intended to take fish up to 2lbs at the most. Good fun anyway.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I have two penfishing rods, and have used them a lot. I personally prefer a simple jig head with some kind of bait. I use Berkley gulp alive shads and have plenty of trout and perch. Small spinners work well but stay small, a tin that fits in your pocket two or three spinners and a couple of jig heads is all you need. A small container for the Berkley shads is a good idea as the liquid is smelly but they work very well.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Used mine with a simple pre weighted waggler float hook and worm in the local pond. Used red worm from the compost bin and happily pulled in perch all day. You would have similar results on a canal.

I also hooked a 3lb tench on the same tackle... that was errrrrr fun:cool:

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Would you want to eat anything caught from the K and A canal? Used to hear the mutters of the fishermen as I paddled past but these were generally those with enormous rods seeming to stretch across the canal. I like the idea of pocket-sized kit generally and wonder if you would need anything more than float, hook and weight with bait. Baiting the water in a canal seems wrong somehow as there is little flow to disperse it and it must add to the general decay in the water, see first sentence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE