Fishing Hook Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Fish is a fantastic source of protein and the seas and inland waters have always been harvested by mankind.
When living in the wilds, we can avail ourselves of this resource by using the many fishing techniques that are
available, eg netting, trapping, spearing and angling.

Hooks can be fashioned from many different materials that can be found in the wilds and can be made in
various shapes and sizes to suit specific fish. This is but one.

Refer to thread "Important Piece of Kit? Tutorial" to see how you get to this stage:

fishhook002.jpg

Draw out shape of hook using a piece of charcoal

fishhook003.jpg

Using hand drill with flint tip, drill out a series of holes. Note small slithers of wood inserted in
split to hold the antler steady while drilling

fishhook004.jpg

Holes completed

fishhook005.jpg

Knock out the middle sections, leaving a U shape

fishhook006.jpg

Using flint, scrape away until you have refined the shape of the hook

fishhook007.jpg

Start to whittle the hook down further by scraping away fine slithers

fishhook008.jpg

Round off inside of hook, leaving the barb more defined

fishhook009.jpg

After scraping, the side profile should look like this. This shape is more efficient when striking
the hook in the fish

fishhook010.jpg

Hook is almost complete. Work a deeper recess into the barb and finely scrape to a smooth
rounded finish

fishhook011.jpg

Completed hook bound on to fishing line (here made of braided willow) - Tight Lines Folks !

Reactions: Stew

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Hi Tomtom,

Thanks for the kind comments. The answer to your question is yes.

I have made hooks from many materials over the years and have fished in salt and fresh water for many different spieces (with both successes and failures!)

This style of hook is very effective - it is based on modern hook design. Antler is a robust and flexible material, bone hooks are more brittle but you can overcome this by altering the style and shape of the hook.

Hope this answers your question

Patrick

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good stuff Patrick!

So how would you change the shape for bone hooks? Would denser woods (ie Boxwood) work as well?

Also, a hook size obviously limits how small a fish you can catch. Would you scale this down or use a different style of hook for smaller fish?

~Dan~

Sep 19, 2005
:D every time i check back on this forum i look forward to seeing one of your tutorials they are so informative and the finsihed articles are always just truly amazing :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
MagiKelly said:
Fantastic, as are all your tutorials. I only hope that someone is taking all your tutorials and putting them on the main site. Either that or making them sticky.

all of Patricks tutorials will be put on the main site in the articles section over the coming weeks

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
whoa great tutorial!!!
its great to see some tutorials with pictures, really nice work, and for all your other ones.
really nice job of the hook too ;)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Absolutely incredible Patrick. Looking at this I can really see what Bushcraft is really about.

Thanks for showing this. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE