Fishing Estuaries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Wow, so much to read here. Thanks guys!!

I guess I have a few options to play with before I move away in December. I have a canoe, so I'm going to try canoeing out into the sea, apparently, 400m SW of a special mark is a great patch and I think i've seen a few fishing boats there. I'm also going to try leaving a line out between tides. Any resources on lines to leave out overnight??

Fingers crossed!!!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am not sure if a line should be left in a tidal area ( where line will be in the dry during low tide) as the fish will suffocate slowly.

Leaving a line out overnight is a very efficient way to get fish.
A couple of points we have learned over the years:
Do not leave the line where boats go
Anchor it properly so the water or fish action will not drag it away
Thick main line, fairly thick hook lines ( you do not want a fish to escape with a hook in it)
Make sure you know exactly where the line is, maybe a vivid colour on the anchoring weights ( if you still decide to place it where it will be dry in low tide)
Or an Orange float. One at each end.

You need to decide where you want your line to fish. Bottom? Halfway up? Shallow?
Different species at different levels.

In areas with large tidal height difference the line will of course move up and down.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Also check where you use nightlines, jugs, noodles .. they aren't legal in some places, so just check your local regulations. Never really known why though ... unpleasant to the fish perhaps or maybe cause a hazard if they get lost. Noodle fishing is very frowned on in places, using lights to attract fish also. Regulations vary on the number of lines you can use at one time too. Always bear in mind that although it may appear completely empty where you are, a ranger or someone similar will very likely come and check what you are doing. I saw a hilarious thing the other day. A fishing boat had wandered out into the main container ship lane under the Lionsgate Bridge. A coastguard appeared at tom and jerry speed, with a loud hailer turned up to its 'The Voice of God' setting ... gave them an appalling dressing down. Most embarassing. :lol::) They have binoculars, you know, and not a lot else to do. :lol:

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Maybe off topic, but what about crab traps?? Legal without a permit in UK?

If Ok, it is very important to anchor them properly from the currents.

Crab is good food specially in Autumn.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Me and my son also fish for crab in Lofoten . We are the only ones doing that. The locals think we are very strange, eating something that eats rubbish...
We have 12 large traps. as we fish in summer only - no meat inside the crab, so we only take one claw and release it back.
We lost 5 traps the first time we fished this summer. Snagged something. So had to buy new ones.

We use "aged" fish heads and entrails as bait.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, get the bait from the skips behind restaurants .. use it, then stick it in a bag in the freezer for next time .. just make sure no one chucks it in a curry :lol:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Heck no, we make our own!

Put the heads and guts in a bucket, cover and leave in the sun.
Next day - ok, the day after - perfect!

Sons job to bait up the traps. He usually throws up a couple of times, and I am not joking!

I am 8 meters away, at the other end of our boat. I am the captain!

Reactions: Billy-o

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Hi All,

I live in mid-wales and I'm looking into fishing Estuaries using a hand line. I was out today doing just that but didn't get a bite. I've been reading up on tides- It seems a high tide is the best time. I want to use the fish for eating and want to avoid catching fish like Bass that are covered under UK legislation due to their low numbers- I'd like to fish in an ethical way.

What I'm wanting to learn how to use a hand line so that when I'm camping or on canoe trips, I have the skill and knowledge to do so. It'll save me from carrying a larger bit of kit like a fishing rod. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of some useful resources or be able to help shed some light on the skills behind handline fishing?

Thanks guys :)
Fish a couple off hours either side off high tide 4 hours aprox

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE