Fishing! Beginner help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Cheers for all the help guys, as it turned out i didnt have a lot of time for fishing. i got me a cheep telescopic rod and used the kit that came with it, did a bit of spinning, but not so much as a nibble. will bare all advice in mind for next time :)

on the shopping list is some more spinners, some wire traces and some soft lures. that's what the other guys i met along the way advised.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Pity you did not catch anything. Better luck next time!
Remember, it will be better next time. Every time!
Wire traces only for Pike.

Where did you buy the equipment, what brand?

I always buy lures and such in the country I fish in. Developed to suit the local fishes ‘taste’.

Lures made for US waters do not work in Norway. I tried, wasted a bucket load of cash.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Your experience shows that the idea of being able to fish, in a survival situation, to get food is not so great and realistic.
Specially not with the equipment included in those survival kits.

You need the correct gear, knowledge of the lake or stream, correct time of the day, correct weather.

I hope both of you have better luck next time!

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Your experience shows that the idea of being able to fish, in a survival situation, to get food is not so great and realistic.
Specially not with the equipment included in those survival kits.

You need the correct gear, knowledge of the lake or stream, correct time of the day, correct weather.

I hope both of you have better luck next time!

I work with fish for a living and fish 2 to 5 times a week I would doubt I could get fish 80% of the time for a survival situation. Some times its just a gamble.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Fishermen are ever the optimist! Despite all the evidence that there are no fish anywhere that I go canoeing, that won't stop me from throwing my 7-pc rod, reel and small box of lures into my pack when I go...just in case! :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need a gill net and baited set lines to survive. Read your regulations = what ever is illegal works the best.

Rod & reel is the plan for days which are never counted as a part of your alloted life span.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Cheers for all the help guys, as it turned out i didnt have a lot of time for fishing. i got me a cheep telescopic rod and used the kit that came with it, did a bit of spinning, but not so much as a nibble. will bare all advice in mind for next time :)

on the shopping list is some more spinners, some wire traces and some soft lures. that's what the other guys i met along the way advised.

I only found this thread tonight…

Wire tracers, so the pike and perch don't bite through your line.

Soft lures, frog shapes, a few hard lures with rattlers inside, a couple of spoons.

If you are not so much fishing for the sport, but want to be sure that you can horse in the fish on your line so you can eat it, then go for braided line with a rating well over the fish you hope to catch. Braided line won't take a much of a set when you leave it on you reel for a whole year before you go out again. ("Taking a set" is when the line naturally sets into a spiral pattern when you unwind it from the reel, instead of lying straight.)

And practice tying knots with the line you're going to use next time out.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Swedish perch grow big, but do not need a steel tracer. Also, if the OP plans to fish in Sweden, Frog shaped lures do not work well.
Spoons, and stuff made by Finnish Rapala and the classic Swedish ABU stuff works well.

You need to use lures that resemble what they eat.
In lakes with a mixed fish population, say, Perch, Pike and salmonids, you need to use a lure that resemble the salmonid in question..

Fishing is one part Science and two parts Sorcery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE