Fishing Advice

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Me and SWMBO are about to start with some fishing to see if we like it. She's interested in beach casting and I'm interested in coarse fishing. Though we'll take turns one out one then swap over.

Any of the rest of you fish? If so can you direct me to some cheap setups / starter kits that would be of use, and perhaps some books suitable for starters. Any recomendations for forums like BCUK that would be good for advice too would be great too.

Thanks

Tim.

naylor b

Jun 30, 2007
uk
Hi
I fish and really enjoy it.
Although, i am no pro angler. When i was started fishing i went to my local angling shop and asked for advice. I like you, was looking for a rod i could use for different things course/sea fishing. In the end i bought a 8ft spin rod, reel and the shop keeper through in some float, hooks, and lots of other bits and bobs i needed for around £50. It was a great deal and i am still useing them today (well there only a year or two old =D!)
So id try your angling local shop because there real helpful.
hope this helps
naylor

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
The best fishing website imho is www.fishingmagic.com , covers all sort's of fishing and the forum's coughed up all the help i've needed.
If your fishing for food then sea fishings going to be better for your need's as most course fishing will be catch and release.
I've been seriously considering starting flyfishing, can't stand sitting about doing sod all an the bank/beach, hence lure fishing has been my thing for a few years now but in the uk your really not going to catch anything edible, so fluff chucking maybe the way forward for me:rolleyes:

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello Tim,

I fish a fair bit too, mainly beachcasting and spinning around various spots.

If you're after bargain fishing gear, this place is worth a look, and the Shakespeare stuff is very good kit. http://www.jims.org.uk/

As you're in the Yeovil area, and are looking for a forum try this one, there's loads of local people on there, and they seem friendly enough! http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/

Naylors advice was good too, a local tackle shop is an ideal place to start looking, plus you'll get plenty of advice on local places to try, and baits/ tackle to use.

Good luck

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
An 8ft spinning rod is incredibly versatile. I have all sorts of lure rods but used to use the 8ft (rated 10 - 30g) for just about everything, perch, pike, chub including float, floater fishing for carp up to 18lb.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks. Seems like some good advice. Though we have two tackle shops here in Yeovil - one of them tried to do a number on us... no way was I about to pay the amount they were after... I'll try the other one next week and see what they say. I was down at west bay this eve and one of the shops there looked pretty good and was recommended by a nice lady out there fishing and having no luck at all... May go and try that next weeked.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
mace242,
Your thread inspired me to check through my gear to see if its still ok. I have a Daiwa 10ft spinning rod rated up to 60g that I can't see myself using much as I now prefer lighter spinning/lure fishing in small rivers.
I have used this rod for spinning (obviously) carp fishing, dead baiting and bass/surf fishing.

You are more than welcome to borrow this for the rest of the year if you can pay postage.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks loads for the offer but we're going to look and see what we can get - inspired by other posts that make us hopefull we can get stuff for not too much. But I'll keep the offer in mind and may get back to you when we've looked in some more shops. Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE