Fish Rib Bone Projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
you could put the bait on the shank of the hook and push it down always keep the point of the hook clear especially if your using a tough bait if you use bread though you could encase the whole hook in it and mould it around the shank so it stays on,
mark

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Spamel,

Excellent tutorial. :35: I think I know what I will be practicing this weekend. It also gives me an idea for using out of date silk suture material, it comes on 75cm lengths and I feel it is waste to throw the stuff away. Have a draw full and now a project to use it on.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
hook.jpg

hi guys!

I tested that tutorial out and this is what i did! instead of a bone i used a thorn out of my garden :D

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i was wondering could you make one of those hooks using the bones bass have on their fins located on the top of there body
leon

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Has anyone had a bash at fishing with these yet?
I am off for a couple of days to camp on a beach and thought I might make some and add some tinsel to see how they fare at towing in a mackeral in comparison to a standard feather and hook.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Here's my very rough attempt - I made it years ago when walking through some woods in Cumbria with a friend - the thing was, that I hadn't seen the Ray Mears programme that had just been on where he made one, so I had to do it purely from my mate telling me 'sort of how it looked' :) :

hook.jpg

Made with a small Opinel from what was available (piece of pine, a thorn and some spruce root (not much root, hence the sparce binding!)

best
Matt

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
leon-b said:
i was wondering could you make one of those hooks using the bones bass have on their fins located on the top of there body
leon

As long as they are long enough, I can't see why not Leon (they are certainly sharp - I've stabbed myself plenty of times on Bass fins!)

Matt

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have made several bone needles with holes drilled with a fine flint tip inserted into a greater reedmace drill secured with pine glue. I used the drill as a handdrill.
The difficulty is to make the flint drill tip fine enough. As the drill tip doesn't have parallel sides, the hole drilled tends to be a cone shape so for the smallest hole I drilled from both sides to the middle.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
leon-b said:
leon
Yep mate I've done them with seabass spines.
2006_0823Image0002.jpg

Not a particularly good picture or hook. All stoneage, spine tied on with nettle and covered in pitch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE