Fish in Newspaper

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
This was printed in the Metro newspaper yesterday, has anyone tried it?

Tess and Kat's Fish in Newspaper is a tasty dish and also helps you recycle papers...The size of the fish doesn't matter; big fish take longer to cook, of course, but look impressive.
Dip a sheet of newspaper in water wrap it around the fish. Repeat until you've got about ten sheets around each fish, then tie up with string. Place the parcel in the embers of the campfire and turn occasionally. (You may think the paper would catch fire but that's why the water is there. Do have some handy, though, in case the paper does ignite and you need to dampen it again).
Check the fish when the newspaper really starts to blacken. Open the parcel and put your knife into the densest part of the fish. A little resistance means the fish is cooked; to much and it needs longer.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Seen it done and it works well.

Mind you I've seen (on TV) Salmon cooking in sinks full of hot water and even in the dishwashes (without the soap!)

AJB

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Works in a oven too. I invited a nice you lady round for a dinner of freshly caught trout only to discover that I'd run out of tin foil and was lacking a grill or frying pan as I'd just moved into the flat and hadn't upacked yet! Out came the newspaper, soaked it, wrapped up the fish and baked it in the oven. It worked ...... on both accounts as said young lady is now my girlfriend :D :cool: !

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Yep done this lots in Scouts with trout and Salmon - the trick is to soak each sheet of paper as you wrap the fish use about 10-15 layers put in into the embers and a short while later lovely cooked fish!!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Aliwren said:
Yep done this lots in Scouts with trout and Salmon - the trick is to soak each sheet of paper as you wrap the fish use about 10-15 layers put in into the embers and a short while later lovely cooked fish!!

Same here done it with my Scouts works a treat. When the paper starts to burn (char) through the fish is usually done.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Usefull for big fish, though doesnt mean you can only do it with big fish.

By big I mean a kilo sized fish or more.

I like fish cooked whole (just gutted and descaled) and little ones I just lay straight on the grill.

Doing the same with a bigger fish would mean the outsides starting to burn before the inside was properly cooked, the newspaper - or leaves if you wish to try - make a sort of steamer. Helps keep temperatures inside the parcel to a nice even temp and more even cooking.

Test for readiness in near the spine where the meat is thickest, point of a knife works fine , then twist a little to seperate a few flakes and you should be able to see all the way to the bone when it is done.

Tant

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
we've done this with cubs and scouts many times - as well as getting them to gut the fish (and eat the eyes!!) Also, i have cooked fish & lemon slices wrapped in foil on hot rocks from the fire. If the rocks are very hot the fish takes only 5 minutes each side and is beautiful!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE