First Wooden Cup/"Kuksa"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm very proud to present my first wooden cup or "kuksa". I'd like to thank Jon from http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/ for providing a great tutorial on how to carve it. I followed his tutorial but chose a different handle style and made the triangular point at the back my own.

This is a tooled finish project all around, except for the inner bowl, which is sanded, as I found it a bit difficult to neaten it up with the spoon knife. I think this hybrid style looks and feels quite unique actually. I'm very happy with how this came out for my first ever cup and it looks rather nice, I think.

vpwb9h.png

I hope you like it.

Thanks.

Ps. I'm waiting for the oil to dry in a bit before filling it with liquid. I'll post a photo of it later.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's pretty darn nice, I like the whole play off between the bowl and handle. Should also be nice and stable when you put t down as there's nothing worse than spilling your hard earned brew!

Do you intend to use it mainly for beverages or will it be multi tasked? Find in used mine for a lot, both in and out of home. But specially like eating my morning oats out of mine with a horn spoon - strange but it gives me a feeling of reaching back through time.

Nice job and I think that all the work you put into it has paid off as the form and finish are really nice. Sláinte!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I really appreciate them.

One thing I've realised is that it's less of a drinking cup and more of a scooper, if that's the right word. The handle certainly gives that impression too. The bowl just isn't deep enough. It holds a decent amount of liquid, but I don't see myself using it, or it actually doesn't feel entirely useful, as a cup, maybe as just a transporter of liquid, perhaps. I'm going to try a nice hot milk and ovaltine in it though to make sure!

Cheers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE