First woodcarving!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now, and decided to register just a few moments ago. I've always been fascinated by survival, bushcraft, knives and woodcrafting so I figured this would be a nice place for me :)

As a small boy (I'm 19years old now), I've always made 'walking' sticks carved with several kind of rings from bark, carvings etc, I guess you'll know what I'm talking about ;)

I was bored, browsing this forum and entered this section where I saw several topics of spoons. It was good weather here so I picked a piece of wood, a saw, an axe, 2 knives, a gouge (unfortunatly I don't have a crooked knive yet) and some sandpaper in different grades.

Well, you'll know the process I guess so here's my first 'real' woodcraft piece!

spoon1.jpg

spoon2.jpg

spoon3.jpg

spoon4.jpg

I know there are a few flaws in the crafting, I could remove it by spending several hours using sandpaper, but I still think its a good first try :)

Any comments are more than welcome!

Oh by the way, I've got a question. I didn't treat the spoon with anything, because I'm knot sure which stuff to use. I don't want it to be shiny to be honest, but I don't want to get poisoned by eating with it either ;) What kind of stuff do you recommend?

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
nicely done!
I began spooncarving, but i'm just no patient enough. so.. I'm working on my patientce right now. but very nice! I hope to produce something like that one day.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Geuf said:
nicely done!
I began spooncarving, but i'm just no patient enough. so.. I'm working on my patientce right now. but very nice! I hope to produce something like that one day.
Yea you need a lot of patience for this indeed, especialy for the finishing part ;) But it is very satisfying! I've already got an order from my mom to make here a new 'flat spoon' (don't know what that's called in English, maybe a spatula?) for the kitchen :p

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
for fliping pancakes and so on?

that is called a spatula yeah.

and indeed. I always get to the finishing part. the hardest part for me is always to get the bowl right. its so hard no to chip too mutch off. because of that in my mind I usually chip to little off.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey nice spoon mate....certainly a lot better than my first atempt which ended up more like a ladle!

Top marks for a first try :)

There's various oils you can use on the spoon from boiled linseed to normal cooking oil... I use virgin olive oil on my eating spoons now.
Be warned though that some people have found issues with using veg oil as it may go rancid in warm weather.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Good effort with the spoon.
I wish my first spoon had been as good, I may even post a pic sometime to give folks a laugh. :)

I was recommended to use Grape Seed oil, which you can get from places like Tesco. Seems to work OK for me.

Stu

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks great mate!

The spoon I use most (For brewing) only had one coat of veg oil,

now seems to be a stewed tea colour from the hundreds of teabags it has squashed ;)

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks for the great responses :)
I think I'll use veg oil to conserve this.

I hope you'll see a lot more work from my hand soon. I just need to find a supplier for some good wood (this is just from a stick which I found from the ground :+)

It's incredibly light by the way, so this spoon comes with me on my hikes without a doubt!

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Well it's been a while since my last post. I promised to take a picture after I Oiled it, but my cardreader broke so I couldn't put any photo's on my computer. Well I bought a new one 2 days ago and made a picture after the treatment with Olive Oil (did it about 4 times)

It's pretty nice now ah well, see it for yourself :)

spoon5.JPG

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks again for the compliments guys :)
I'm really getting the hang of it now; I'm going in a couple of days to a friend of my father because he's an woodcraft artist.
Also, I'm making something like a heart shaped statue for my girlfriend (well for our one year together aniversery :D). Its the 10th of july so I really hope I can make it in time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE