First Wood Pigeon in the Bag but...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
...I think it might have tuberculosis. Rubbish.

After finally managing to get a very nice head shot on a wood pigeon I set about plucking and gutting it. It's innards were riddled with yellow fatty cists that ranged from individual specks the size of a pin head to clusters that looked like unholy grapes. After a bit of internet scoutery it looks like avian tb... the liver was pretty speckled too.

I cleared all the lumps out of the carcass and it looks totaly clean now but I'm in two minds...as to what to do know. I've seen ways of dressing them and pheasants that let you just cut the breast from the bone without checking any of the guts, so does that mean the meat is normally ok regardless?

If someone could definatley clear up whether it's safe or not and if I need to get my lungs hoovered I'd be very appreciative :)

Last edited:

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Now I'm no doctor and wouldn't even consider advising you on a course of action based on an internet diagnosis so can only tell you how I do things. Pigeons and suchlike I dont bother to pluck, just skin to expose the breastmeat and take the two halves of the breast out. The rest I bin, so it is perfectly feasible that in the past I may have eaten many in the same state as you describe. Only difference I suppose is that I have enjoyed my meal without worrying about such stuff!!:)

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
I just go for the breasts never considered or checked for what you are describing, if the bird looks healthy and the meat good i eat it. But again just do breasts for ease and hygine.
I dont think you can catch TB be eating infected meet , think you have to inhale it? but anyway i guess that doesnt not mean it cant make you sick *GG

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I don't hunt - though I would like to - but it just seems that common sense would tell you not to eat anything that has a disease of any sort, even if you can identify one that would not harm you if it's immune system was weak because of one thing it may well have something else that you haven't identified.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Easy way to get the breasts out is to crown them, just turn them inside out, job done, anyone got any good recipes for woodies, I have a pile in the freezer from my last outing. Only decent thing i used them for was instead of duck in a shreaded pigeon and pancake type thing with hoisin sauce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE